Onboarding Cisco 9200 into Meraki cloud

ScottM_77
Comes here often

Onboarding Cisco 9200 into Meraki cloud

Good Morning,

I'm attempting to onboard a Cisco 9200 switch for visibility onto our Meraki cloud. I'm at the pre-check and getting all the way to where it wants IP routing turned on. Problem is this switch is an access switch and only needing to do layer 2. With the management VLAN the only SVI with an IP address on it.

So, my question is, do I only need ip-routing turned on during the onboarding process, then in can be turned off? I'd rather not have ip-routing turned on if I don't need to have it turned on.

Thanks!

-Scott

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Even if you don't enable it, it will be enabled as part of onboarding.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>do I only need ip-routing turned on during the onboarding process,

I would expect so.

>then in can be turned off?

No.  This enables additional commands that the Meraki Dashboard will be wanting to use to collect information.

ScottM_77
Comes here often

Thank you both for the reply. As this switch requires no routing, I just have it point via "IP Default-Gateway" to our layer 3 switch at that location for any inter VLAN routing or to get out the internet. I'd like to get this into the dashboard to be monitored as well though. So, my thought is if I enable IP routing I'll take out the IP default-gateway command and do a static route to send everythign to the layer 3 switch? Thoughts on this? Or what do others do that have a layer 2 switch and want to get it onboarded?

Thanks again!

-Scott

This is a requirement for Onboarding, you need to enable routing.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

ScottM_77
Comes here often

I understand that. I'm asking what do others do in this situation if the switch is only needed to do layer 2. Do they add a static route to just get their layer 3 switch? Do they just enable it and not do any routing? Or does Meraki only intend for switches that are actually layer 3 to be onboarded?

Only the 9200, 9300, and 9500 series are supported, and they all support routing. So I believe that at the moment only those that have routing support will be supported by Meraki.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels