Sharing VLAN to all switches in the site

Solved
GoOn
Getting noticed

Sharing VLAN to all switches in the site

Hello to all! I'm new in configuring switches and I would appreciate any help to solve my problem.

In our headquarter site we have a Meraki MX, two Meraki switches (an MS220 + an MS120) and an Hp maganed switch. The MX is connected directly to the MS220, MS120 is connected to the MS220 via fiber (SFP on the 220) and a media converter to ethernet on the 120, and the Hp is connected to the MS220 via fiber on the SFP.

In the past year we implemented VLANs, but we connected devices on the MS120 and hp only to the default VLAN. There were devices on to the other VLAN only connected via MS220.

Now I need another VLAN and to use it for devices either connected on the MS220, on the MS120 and the Hp.

I created the VLAN and set its gateway and DHCP.

If I assign a port of the MS220 to the new VLAN (Access mode), when I connect a device on that port everything works fine: IP assigned by DHCP on the correct subnet, access to the internet as expected.

If I do the same on a port on the MS120, when I connect a device it sets to a bad address 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and it's unable to connect to everything! The gateway port is Trunk (native VLAN the default), and on the port where I connect a device I tried to set it Trunk all VLAN allowed, Access on the new VLAN, Trunk only the new VLAN allowed and the new VLAN the default one, but no way!

Same on the Hp, where I configured the new VLAN!

Probably on the HP some additional configuration is needed, but on the MS120 I expected no problems!

Someone can help me?

Many thanks in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution
GoOn
Getting noticed

Finally it works also with media converters!

I elaborate on it, and I found that the MS120 wasn't connected to MS220 directly, but it was connected to the HP instead.

So: MX --> MS220 -- fiber --> HP -- media converter --> MS120.

and the HP had incorrect VLAN configured ports.

For instance, HP uses another terminology: a Trunk port that has to transmit packets of some VLAN must be Trunk tagged, mine was Untagged!

Thanks to all for the support!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Have you made the link between the MS120 and MS220 a trunk? It needs to be a trunk to carry the multiple VLANs, and make sure the native VLAN is set the same at both ends (probably just keep it as the original VLAN you had). The port you connect your device to only needs to be an access port.

GoOn
Getting noticed

Thanks for your reply!

I have this on ports connecting each other switch

TypeTrunk
Native VLAN1
Allowed VLANsall

And this is the configuration on the port connecting the device (3 is my new VLAN):

Port statusEnabled
TypeAccess
VLAN3
Voice VLAN--
Access policyOpen
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Those configurations look about right. Its possible that the media convertor is doing something more than just converting the media. Is it possible to test without the media convertor, maybe temporarily using the SFP that connects to the HP switch?

GoOn
Getting noticed

I just ordered a fiber cable, I already have a transceiver to use with it. Tomorrow I can test the direct connection between two switches without media converter. I'll let you know! Thanks

GoOn
Getting noticed

Finally it works also with media converters!

I elaborate on it, and I found that the MS120 wasn't connected to MS220 directly, but it was connected to the HP instead.

So: MX --> MS220 -- fiber --> HP -- media converter --> MS120.

and the HP had incorrect VLAN configured ports.

For instance, HP uses another terminology: a Trunk port that has to transmit packets of some VLAN must be Trunk tagged, mine was Untagged!

Thanks to all for the support!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels