Semi transparent demo MS390

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Semi transparent demo MS390

GIdenJoe_0-1580556966768.png

They had a cool see through version of the MS390 in Cisco Live!
I'm hoping to get some customers who want to buy these models asap 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

I Also did see it.... looked lovely with the UADP 2.0 visible in it 😄 

To bad it's normally hidden under a heatsink...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't even presented their existence to my customers.  I can't think of a usable case for them compared to the other models.

So lets assume I am not going to buy Cisco ISE because it is crazy expensive.  So I'm not going to be using SGT.

What compelling reasons would you give me to buy the MS390 as opposed to other models of Meraki switches?

The only USP at this moment is the changeable uplink module and the stackpower option (just like the old CAT3850 and new CAT9300)

As long as full SDA for Meraki isn't released, that are the only things.
I don't know prices but if you need 2 in a stack and can save out 2 power supplies and somehow come to the same price as a comparable ms350/350 i would always go for the newer MS390.

>The only USP at this moment is the changeable uplink module

I would call that a dis-incentive.  Pretty much every other model in this size has SFP+ ports.  You just plug in the SFP/SFP+ that you want.

With the MS390 you have to buy something extra to get back to this same starting place.

> and the stackpower option (just like the old CAT3850 and new CAT9300

Stack power is a bonus.  But unless you are making a big stack so you can save a lot of power supplies, it isn't that much of an incentive.  I wouldn't pay extra for an MS390 to get this feature over the MS350 series.

>i would always go for the newer MS390.

The MS390 firmware seems to have a long bug list at the moment.  It makes me nervous about using it in a customer I care about.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And one of the other benefits of the 390 (40GbE uplinks) is available in the 355 and that actually has a greater packet forwarding capacity and almost as much stacking bandwidth (400Gb Vs 480 for the 390).

The only areas where the 390 really wins out are the aforementioned stackpower (this is actually really good, we have stacks of 3850s as our core at every site and it is handy being able to replace the only PSU in an active switch without worrying) and that you can have all of the copper ports at 5GbE so if you have lots of WiFi6 APs then this might matter.

hockeydude
Getting noticed

Agree with cmr about the 5gbe copper ports for wifi6 APs. Also agree with PhilipDAuth about buggy firmware and how it may be for only a select customer willing to deal with growing pains.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At this very moment the sales pitches aren't that high which is true.

But in the future I'm sure all the Meraki switches will be based on Catalyst platform.
The chip provides a way to give the switches new hardware features after release.

There are too many small features you have on Catalyst which are missing on MS which makes it a little jarring to transition into them and also bigger feature like a decent QoS implementation and other ACL types than VACL's which are the only supported ACL's on MS platforms as of yet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels