Seeking switch recomendation

bill2
Conversationalist

Seeking switch recomendation

Hello,

At site A, I have eight MR32 access points connected to one MS120-48FP.

I will be replacing the MR32 with MR57. I was thinking about replacing the MS120-48FP with MS130-48P-HW.

At site B, I have two MR32 plugged into a MX65. At this site the two MR32 are going to be replaced with four MR57 (double the number of AP's). The MX at site B only has two POE ports so that means I need a switch. Was thinking of the MS130-8P-HW.

Does all that seem ok? Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3
MartinLL
Getting noticed

No issues with the 48 port switch. But 4 MR 57 on a MS130-8-P might be pushing the POE budget a bit further then i would be comfy with. The MX65 only has 60W poe capacity. The MR57 can draw up to 40W each.

Consider an MS130-12X or MS130-24P.

mlefebvre
Building a reputation

As long as you are not using the USB port, that is technically fine as the MR57 supports full operation of the AP on 802.3at power, it will just disable the USB port which you probably weren't going to use anyways.

That being said the MR57 is a pretty beefy AP and your max throughput on the AP will be limited to 1 gbps by the switch ports...which I should note, for most users and applications right now is totally fine, but I would view it as kind of a waste of an MR57 to bottleneck it like that so if you wanted to future proof a bit more you could get a MS130-12X and use the 4x 2.5 gbps mGig ports instead, or if you have two ethernet runs to each AP the MR57 supports dual connections and you could still use the MS130-8P for 2 gbps from the switch + HA.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/MR57_Frequently_Asked_Questions

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If all your traffic is internet based (north south) and you only have lower tier MX'es then you problably are overdoing your AP models.  If you have alot of east west traffic, going to local servers then your choice of switches is too low.  You are using the lowest end models without any stacking capabilities.

In the first case you would probably be better served by using CW9162 AP's.
In the second case consider using C9300L-24P/48P-4X models instead and probably upgrade your MX'es too.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels