STP root definition for switches which belong to network template

Solved
Jyrki_Halonen
Getting noticed

STP root definition for switches which belong to network template

I have an organisation with multiple networks in it. All networks are bound to same Configuration template.

I want to define STP-root for each network and I thought to do this:

1) Create individual Switch template to each site and configure STP root bridge priority and select corresponding HW-model to that template

2) Bind the wanted STP-root switch to that network's switch template

3) do this to all networks

Few questions:

1) Can someone see any drawbacks on this thinking?

2) If there is already local configs, like port settings, on the switch what I'm about to bind to the switch template, will those be overwritten to the values from the template?

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, that is how you would set a non default STP priority in a templated Meraki environment. So, each site would have a switch called whatever - core, 1, etc. Then set the STP bridge priority for that switch template in the main template. All other switches would bind to another template with another STP value (or probably just the default).

And yes, when you bind a switch to a switch template it will inherit all settings. So, the port settings would be overwritten. 

In case you have switch stacks be aware of this limitation when it comes to stacks, templates, and STP priority. https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, that is how you would set a non default STP priority in a templated Meraki environment. So, each site would have a switch called whatever - core, 1, etc. Then set the STP bridge priority for that switch template in the main template. All other switches would bind to another template with another STP value (or probably just the default).

And yes, when you bind a switch to a switch template it will inherit all settings. So, the port settings would be overwritten. 

In case you have switch stacks be aware of this limitation when it comes to stacks, templates, and STP priority. https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels