Replacing a Top Level Switch

DHR
Conversationalist

Replacing a Top Level Switch

We have replaced all but 1 of our HP switches with Meraki MS 250 switches. The last one to be replaced is the top level switch, which sits between the MX firewall and the rest of the network. On the HP switch, the IP config has an entry for each VLAN, and each has an assigned IP address. We use the addresses as the default gateway on each VLAN. The plan is to replace this last HP switch with an MS 250. On this new switch, do I create interfaces (Routing Page) to match the HP setup? Is that all there is to this?

4 Replies 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DHR that is pretty much all you NEED to do.  The MS250 can of course control which VLANs go to each other switch or MX, can be a DHCP server (you will see this option when you create each L3 interface), can forward DHCP packets to another DHCP server, can control what traffic is allowed between VLANs and much more, but you don't need to configure more than you have on the HP.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you create the first VLAN interface you will be asked for a default gateway and it needs to be in that VLAN, so create the one that connects to the MX first.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

When you migrate, remember that the clients will have cached the mapping of the Default Gateway IP address to a MAC address on the HP switch.   This will necessarily change when the HP is replaced.   That ARP cache mapping will need to update, for clients to communicate outside their own VLAN.   This will happen gradually over time (clients cache that for different durations), but it might take a while.   For testing purposes you can either find out how to flush the cache, for laptops etc.  - or just reboot the device.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @DHR , when I do these types of migration I often phase them in by migrating a VLAN at a time and test as we go.  Works for me especially when dealing with larger networks

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels