Question about the MA-MOD-2X40G QSFP+ module

Solved
RKD1
Comes here often

Question about the MA-MOD-2X40G QSFP+ module

Hello all,

I have a vendor telling me that the MA-MOD-2X40G module does not support the QSFP+ ER (Extended Range) transceiver? Is this true? I tried searching the online documentation and can't find a specific answer to this question.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support extended range (40km).

Also, I have the MA-MOD-2X40G module plugged into my MS390-48P switch if that's pertinent.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Meraki supported 40 Gigabit modules for the MS390 are shown here:
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/SFP_and_Stacking_Acce...

Search for '40 Gigabit'.

Assuming your requirement is SMF up to 10 km - for which the Meraki LR4 QSFP+ would be recommended - the Cisco QSFP-40G-ER4 may work in the MS390 40G module (Meraki switches do not refuse to activate non-Meraki plug-ins), but you may have difficulties getting assistance on problems with such links from Meraki Support

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Meraki supported 40 Gigabit modules for the MS390 are shown here:
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/SFP_and_Stacking_Acce...

Search for '40 Gigabit'.

Assuming your requirement is SMF up to 10 km - for which the Meraki LR4 QSFP+ would be recommended - the Cisco QSFP-40G-ER4 may work in the MS390 40G module (Meraki switches do not refuse to activate non-Meraki plug-ins), but you may have difficulties getting assistance on problems with such links from Meraki Support

RKD1
Comes here often

Thanks for the reply.

The distance I am looking to cover is 34.7 km. Would the LR4 still be the recommendation?

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

No - LR4 will not support that drive distance.   There's a good chance the Cisco ER4 plug-in will work.   I'm looking to establish whether we have any real-world experience on how this combo works in practise.   My previous point about official Meraki Support will still stand though.   Bear in mind, too;   MS390 is designed as an access layer switch (albeit a premium one) - you use it to connect PCs, printers APs, cameras etc to a LAN.   The need to uplink such a switch over a single-mode fibre to a site more then 10Km away is pretty rare.

RKD1
Comes here often

Yes, that is precisely what we use the MS390 for. I have a small number of those devices at the secondary site: desktops, voip phones, APs, and a centralized printer. We are in a rural area and so we link this small satellite site back to the main office via smf.

And I understand what you are saying concerning Meraki Support. I will bear that in mind.

This hardware infrastructure is something I inherited and am trying to figure out. In other words, I'm not convinced my predecessor configured things correctly or according to best practice. I appreciate your help!

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm flabbergasted the MA-MOD does not support over 10 km.
If I look on the official Cisco SFP compatibility matrix you can indeed see the difference between the MA-MOD-2x40G and the C9300-NM-2Q.

GIdenJoe_0-1692386887235.png

I mean... WHYYY? Aren't those modules identical, why wouldn't they support the SFP's?

RKD1
Comes here often

Wow, that's good information. I don't understand that either.

Thank you for sharing that!

These tables show what's been officially tested and Meraki tests the Meraki modules produced for Meraki switches.  As I said, chances are the Cisco ER4 module will work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels