Question about the MA-MOD-2X40G QSFP+ module

Solved
RKD1
Comes here often

Question about the MA-MOD-2X40G QSFP+ module

Hello all,

I have a vendor telling me that the MA-MOD-2X40G module does not support the QSFP+ ER (Extended Range) transceiver? Is this true? I tried searching the online documentation and can't find a specific answer to this question.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support extended range (40km).

Also, I have the MA-MOD-2X40G module plugged into my MS390-48P switch if that's pertinent.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Meraki supported 40 Gigabit modules for the MS390 are shown here:
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/SFP_and_Stacking_Acce...

Search for '40 Gigabit'.

Assuming your requirement is SMF up to 10 km - for which the Meraki LR4 QSFP+ would be recommended - the Cisco QSFP-40G-ER4 may work in the MS390 40G module (Meraki switches do not refuse to activate non-Meraki plug-ins), but you may have difficulties getting assistance on problems with such links from Meraki Support

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Meraki supported 40 Gigabit modules for the MS390 are shown here:
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/SFP_and_Stacking_Acce...

Search for '40 Gigabit'.

Assuming your requirement is SMF up to 10 km - for which the Meraki LR4 QSFP+ would be recommended - the Cisco QSFP-40G-ER4 may work in the MS390 40G module (Meraki switches do not refuse to activate non-Meraki plug-ins), but you may have difficulties getting assistance on problems with such links from Meraki Support

RKD1
Comes here often

Thanks for the reply.

The distance I am looking to cover is 34.7 km. Would the LR4 still be the recommendation?

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

No - LR4 will not support that drive distance.   There's a good chance the Cisco ER4 plug-in will work.   I'm looking to establish whether we have any real-world experience on how this combo works in practise.   My previous point about official Meraki Support will still stand though.   Bear in mind, too;   MS390 is designed as an access layer switch (albeit a premium one) - you use it to connect PCs, printers APs, cameras etc to a LAN.   The need to uplink such a switch over a single-mode fibre to a site more then 10Km away is pretty rare.

RKD1
Comes here often

Yes, that is precisely what we use the MS390 for. I have a small number of those devices at the secondary site: desktops, voip phones, APs, and a centralized printer. We are in a rural area and so we link this small satellite site back to the main office via smf.

And I understand what you are saying concerning Meraki Support. I will bear that in mind.

This hardware infrastructure is something I inherited and am trying to figure out. In other words, I'm not convinced my predecessor configured things correctly or according to best practice. I appreciate your help!

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm flabbergasted the MA-MOD does not support over 10 km.
If I look on the official Cisco SFP compatibility matrix you can indeed see the difference between the MA-MOD-2x40G and the C9300-NM-2Q.

GIdenJoe_0-1692386887235.png

I mean... WHYYY? Aren't those modules identical, why wouldn't they support the SFP's?

RKD1
Comes here often

Wow, that's good information. I don't understand that either.

Thank you for sharing that!

These tables show what's been officially tested and Meraki tests the Meraki modules produced for Meraki switches.  As I said, chances are the Cisco ER4 module will work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.