PING Switches

AxL1971
Building a reputation

PING Switches

We have some on premise monitoring software. Our setup as follows

2 x MS 350 in a stack

2 x MS 410 in a stack

I setup our monitoring software to ping each of the 4 switches management IP address and all was working, however 24 hours later out of the 4 switches 2 does not respond to PING (350 and 410)

No changes done to the configuration so a bit confused why out of the 4 switches I am unable to PING 2 of them.

4 Replies 4
jimmyt234
Getting noticed

Are the switches still online in the dashboard with the same LAN IP?

DHCP or static?

AxL1971
Building a reputation

static IP and yes on dashboard online 

As I say I was able to PING all 4 switches but now I cant PING 2 of them

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Meraki switches do not prioritise responding to ping, so I'd recommend not using this as part of (for example) any switch monitoring, let alone any automated system failover mechanism.

JacekJ
Building a reputation

You are right, but then it would mean that they have, all of the sudden, so much to do, that they can't respond to pings.

@AxL1971, think you need to double check your wiring, configs and maybe open a support case if it doesn't make sense, what firmware are you on?

BTW - I'm having trouble with ping responses on MS425 since upgrading to MS15.x.

At full hours (like 8:00, 13:00, 19:00) the response times to pings would rise up to 1000ms for no reason, last maybe a minute and then return back to normal.

Support is on it, since over a month and they don't see anything weird in the network and are unable to replicate in their lab, despite us seeing this in multiple locations.

Never had this weird thing in previous versions.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels