OSPF and NSF

SOLVED
ToryDav
Building a reputation

OSPF and NSF

Does Cisco Meraki support Non-Stop Forwarding?

Is enabling Non-Stop forwarding on the routing core (not Meraki, Cat 4500x) with MS 350 peers downstream a bad idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I never heard of Meraki supporting NSF. So I took a short capture of an OSPF hello from a Meraki switch:

KarstenI_0-1645457635024.png

No option for this extension. I would keep it disabled on the core.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I never heard of Meraki supporting NSF. So I took a short capture of an OSPF hello from a Meraki switch:

KarstenI_0-1645457635024.png

No option for this extension. I would keep it disabled on the core.

ToryDav
Building a reputation

Hey @KarstenI, my assumption was also that it would not be supported, in traditional Meraki fashion to stay in alignment with "Keep it simple", I know Meraki typically doesn't implement "bells and whistles".

Thanks for digging a little deeper into this, I don't have L3 features on my Meraki lab switch to play with this in the lab.

Also, just to be sure, I will elaborate a little more:

There are several sites all Meraki, OSPF routing to the primary core 4500x VSS pair, and then each location has a backup link to the secondary site for failover to a secondary 4500x VSS pair.

I notice on the Cisco Core's the NSF feature is enabled under the OSPF process, but In this scenario with Meraki I wonder why. I'm assuming this is old config from before Meraki was installed at each location, since before they routed EIGRP with NSF enabled to Cisco Catalyst switches.

I will request justification as to why this feature is enabled today. I also agree this should be disabled.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If there are peers using NSF, it should not cause any trouble if it is enabled on the core. The NSF-capable switch will see that the MS is not capable and just ignore this feature. Still, I would disable anything that is not needed.

ToryDav
Building a reputation

Thanks for the insights here. I will discuss this with them and see if it makes sense to disable, or not.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels