OSPF Between Two MS250 Switches with L3 Switching Enabled

Twitch
Building a reputation

OSPF Between Two MS250 Switches with L3 Switching Enabled

Hello to the crew - I am trying to get an OSPF neighbor relationship to form between our switch stack and an MS-250 switch with OSPF and L3 Switching enabled. The switch stack is running OSPF already, and has a neighbor relationship with some IOS routers.The single switch is connected via Ethernet directly to the switch stack.

However, I cannot get the neighbor relationship to form between the single MS-250 and the switch stack. Note that the stack and the single switch are both in Area 0 with all timers set to their defaults. An SVI is configured on the single switch. The switch ports are both trunks. 

It's Monday. I'm tired. I don't think the coffee is strong enough. I must be missing something simple.

Thanks.

Twitch

4 Replies 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

After having the next strong espresso, draw a little diagram to visualise what your environment is.

Twitch
Building a reputation

Here is the diagram. I forgot to mention that the reason for this test is a desire to use MS-250 switches with L3 Switching enabled and running OSPF to replace the Cisco IOS routers at all remote VPLS sties. My goal with the test is to prove the concept and verify that OSPF will form the neighbor relationships and fully exchange routing information in the same way that the current IOS routers are.

The switch in the lower-left of this diagram represents the test switch. It is currently cabled directly to the switch stack.

Twitch_0-1638807278675.png

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The SVIs of the single switch and the stack share a common VLAN? They can reach each other? Then it's time to capture the OSPF-exchange.

Twitch
Building a reputation

Karstenl - that did it. I was having a hard time translating IOS to Meraki-speak, so to speak, and didn't understand how to assign an individual SVI IP to the test switch so that the stack and the test switch were in the same VLAN. I initially created the SVI on the test switch, but did not have the corresponding interface configured on the stack.

I deleted the SVI from the test switch and created it on the stack, then figured-out how to add an SVI with a unique IP in the same VLAN on the test switch, and now the two are neighbors and routes have been exchanged. 

Thanks for your help. I learned something today.

Twitch

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels