Netbios and BACnet Protocols over Meraki switches

Captain
Getting noticed

Netbios and BACnet Protocols over Meraki switches

Dear,

Do Meraki Switches Support NetBIOS and BACnet Protocols over L2? 

Regards,

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no information regarding this for MS, only for MR, which by the way is not supported.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/Wireless_support_of_NetBIOS_name_...

It would be a good idea to consult Meraki support.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

NetBIOS and BACnet over IP should be fine, but not sure about pure L2.  The switch ASICs might well be okay for them, you'd need to test.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Bacnet/Ethernet and NetBios are built on top of 802.3 (aka standard Ethernet) and ride inside of the standard payload area.

As a result, all Ethernet switches will be able to forward the packets within the same VLAN.  They won't be routable outside of the VLAN they operate in.

There is also Bacnet/IP - which is not compatible with Bacnet/Ethernet.  It rides inside of IP packets.  That might be routable between VLANs - I don't know.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hehe, some people try to think way to far without remembering the basics.
If the L2 protocol is ethernet then the switch will forward it just fine.

Control planes is a different story though.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GIdenJoe there are a lot of BACnet options and not all use ethernet...

Below from Wikipedia:

The BACnet protocol defines a number of data link and physical layers, including ARCNETEthernet, BACnet/IP, BACnet/IPv6, BACnet/MSTP, point-to-point over RS-232multidrop serial bus with token passing over RS-485Zigbee, and LonTalk.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes that is why i stated "if the L2 protocol is ethernet" 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels