Named VLANs

Dunky
A model citizen

Named VLANs

I've been 'playing' with this feature and uncovered what I feel is a 'bug':

Have created a Group "MX-Uplink" with three VLANs

Applied this to the Allowed VLANs field.

All good so far.

Now, if I go and amend the VLAN list against the group I was expecting that to be reflected in the port configs that it is applied to.

That is not the case, you have to go into the port config and select the same VLAN group again and this time it updates the allowed VLANs list.

So what is the point of having a Group if when you amend it, it doesn't update the ports that its applied you - you still have to go and manually update the switchports that its applied to.

Am I missing something here?

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are talking about VLAN Profiles,  it is a new feature spanning MR and MS as a means to provide both dynamic, RADIUS based assignment of VLANs to devices/users/endpoints based on an alphanumeric name, but also as a means to abstract VLAN IDs from certain elements in Dashboard using relatable terminology instead of numbers, it is not for the MX.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Check it out.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/VLAN_Profiles

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

When I referred to MX, that was the description "MX Uplink" of a trunk port on an MS.

I applied a VLAN group with VLANs 3,4,10 in it.  Then amended the VLAN group to remove VLAN 3 but the switchport still showed allowed VLANs of 3,4,10.  If you then edit the switchport and reselect the exact same VLAN group for the allowed VLANs, then it updates the allowed VLANs just fine removing the 3.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you open a support case.

Will do, gets a little annoying when simple features appear not to have been tested before they are released 🙂 

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

How long did you wait after removing VLAN3 from the MX interface, before checking on the Switch side?

Did you test by pinging the MX IP on VLAN 3 from a device connected to an Access port in VLAN 3 on the switch?

After you do a change on the dashboard, the change isn't instantanous. You need to alo for a few seconds (sometimes up towards 30 seconds or so) for the MX to sync/pull its new configuration.

Also, the switch CDP/LLDP information might also be delayed a bit, before data is synced to the dashboard.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

I waited until the switch showed that its config was up to date.

The feature just isn't working - changing the VLAN list against a group name in the default profile does not actually change the allowed VLANs on the switchport - you have to go into the port config and select the group again. The port and switchports displays then show the correct VLANs.

I've raised a case, so will report back.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels