Ms425-16 Pair - Stack or warm spare

Trixxz
Here to help

Ms425-16 Pair - Stack or warm spare

Hi all

We have a pair of 425-16s that we would like to use to replace an existing single core switch. Can anyone give me any tips on whether to stack these 2 or use warm spare. On both if you could detail cabling examples that would be great.

Am I correct in thinking with Warm spare I would need uplinks into both switches from each distribution switch?

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When using the Warm Spare setup, you would need uplinks into both switches from each distribution switch.

MS Warm Spare (VRRP) Overview - Cisco Meraki Documentation

Switch Stacks - Cisco Meraki Documentation

MS425 Series Installation Guide - Cisco Meraki Documentation

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Trixxz , I would keep the solution simple and just stack the ms pair.

For resilient links I would also patch each distribution switch into each core switch.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Prestont
Conversationalist

Hello,

the main difference I find between for a warm spare or stacking would be how you want them to reboot on a firmware update.

On a switch stack the switches will all reboot at once. 

while with a warm spare I think you can do the firmware updates with a stagged update, so that during the update you can still have a switch up and working. Less down time. 

I have some MS425 on my ESXI Clusters and I like having them not stacked so I can have no downtime during a switch firmware update. you just have to make sure you have links for both switches to work when the other is offline. 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As stated above, stacking is simple and will make your life easier.

The downside of which is that during a firmware upgrade, the stack reboots as a whole resulting in a network outage for connected devices.

If that's feasible for your business to manage then IMO, stacking would be the way to go.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels