Moving Switches Between Organizations

SOLVED
arapheon
Here to help

Moving Switches Between Organizations

This has been mostly covered by other threads I have seen in here, but I can't see where this *exact* scenario has been discussed so I am just verifying before I spend many many hours rebuilding configurations manually. 

I have a client with hundreds of switches in the organization.  At one point during their time with us, a voice vendor installed about 30-40 switches in their environment and instead of adding to the existing organization, they just created a new one with the same name. (Don't even get me started).  So this has turned into a licensing nightmare and we really need to get all of the devices under the primary account.

I really just want these switches to stay exactly where they are, keep their configurations, and I want them to be removed from the organization and added to the inventory/networks of another.  It would be so nice if there was a feature where Meraki could "adopt" the existing device configuration, but I know that's not how it works.  So before I start off on this laborious process of re-configuring individual ports and IP info on 30-something switches to look exactly how they do right now, I'm looking for ideas on how to most efficiently do this.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Get all configurations through API and rebuild it with these API calls. That is what should work.

But if you are not into API - like me - it may be faster doing it manually... But would help for the future 😉

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Get all configurations through API and rebuild it with these API calls. That is what should work.

But if you are not into API - like me - it may be faster doing it manually... But would help for the future 😉

mlefebvre
Building a reputation

Meraki has a few example Python scripts in their Github for doing basically this. It isn't the sort of thing that has official support if you break something though, so use at your own risk and test thoroughly or consider hiring PS.

For example:

https://github.com/meraki/automation-scripts   -> copyswitchcfg.py

Description:

copyswitchcfg.py: This script can be used to export switchport configuration of a source org to a file and import it to a destination org. The script will look for the exact same network names and device serial numbers, as they were in the source org. Use copynetworks.py and movedevices.py to migrate networks and devices if needed.

arapheon
Here to help

Thanks so much for the advice.  I've never messed with APIs before (or Python for that matter).  I guess this is something I need to start getting familiar with.  For now I think I'll run through manual configurations to make sure I don't break anything, but I guess I'm on warning for getting onboard with new ways of doing things. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels