Mixed mode

SOLVED
DerekLegler
Conversationalist

Mixed mode

I love Meraki for branch solutions and campus solutions but i am wondering if people are seeing a mix at the campus.  Mostly Catalyst switches with some Meraki added in simply because of better lead times.  How has that gone for your customers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would say that it is a normal situation for all customers that migrate slowly to Meraki. Always when a Switch needs a refresh, it is replaced by a Meraki switch. I have done it both where the core was migrated first and also where the access is migrated first.

Some migrations were more challenging than the others, always because of STP. That always needs good planning and some testing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would say that it is a normal situation for all customers that migrate slowly to Meraki. Always when a Switch needs a refresh, it is replaced by a Meraki switch. I have done it both where the core was migrated first and also where the access is migrated first.

Some migrations were more challenging than the others, always because of STP. That always needs good planning and some testing.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agree with @KarstenI. We have a number of customers whom dip their toe in with Meraki for Wifi first then we revisit by replacing edge switches and then finally their core.

Most refreshes however are full-stack Meraki

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cshaun
Here to help

For larger campus deployments, we are seeing most of our customers moving to Meraki for edge switching & Wifi initially, but retaining existing catalyst for core or distribution.  Once they are in the ecosystem, we'll slowly creep into distribution & core when switches reach end of support or when they get access to their budget.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels