Meraki switch neighbor configuration?

DJ
Here to help

Meraki switch neighbor configuration?

Hi team, just trying to get my head around the initial connection to the cloud before the Meraki switch receives its config.

My guess is that the switch comes up as an access port on a default VLAN (say VLAN 1). This means that the switch it connects to (in my case a Cisco switch) needs to match this VLAN on its native VLAN (it is configured as a VLAN trunk). Once the Meraki has registered and received its full config the same port that connects to the Cisco switch is configured as a VLAN trunk. With the above process, the Cisco switch port configuration never changes and still allows the Meraki to initially come up as an access port to register before the same port is re-configured as a trunk port.

Is that the way it is supposed to work? Or is there another/better way?

Thanks

DJ

3 REPLIES 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you can access the switch locally and see how ports are configured https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

native 1, allowed all

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A blank switch comes up with all ports being a trunk port and a native vlan of 1. The config it then retrieves for the port depends on what you have configured.

Thanks guys. I get that the config it retrieves depends on what you have configured, my question was more around how it works before this. For example, what VLAN does the Meraki switch by default try and learn an IP address on (via DHCP)? I'm guessing VLAN 1.

In that case, if my Meraki switch is getting an IP address from my management VLAN (say 100), I would need to have the switchport on the Cisco neighbor set as a trunk with the native VLAN set to VLAN 100. This way, the Meraki would pull an IP address from the VLAN 100 subnet using its native VLAN 1......

My background is routing and switching, so trying to understand the mechanics around the initial registration of the switch with the dashboard....

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels