Meraki multi building deployment

bbc
Conversationalist

Meraki multi building deployment

what is the best way to approach the design below:

2 separate building network, each utilizing MS-425 distribution switch stack, but both connect to the same MX warm spare. Current design. Each distribution switch is serving dhcp. Goal is to have both networks talking to one another via the MX serving which is kind of as the core. 

bbc_0-1612221942778.png

I have a static route on from each distribution switch (Separate VLAN)to the MX. 

then static routes for each subnet from MX to the respective building. What is the best approach to get building 1 to talk to building 2, and vice versa?

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the buildings are not likely to send much data to each other, you could let the MX do it.

If the buildings will exchange a bit of data between each other, then a cheap efficient option is to create a single transit vlan on the MXs that all the distribution switches to uplink into.  Then run OSPF on the MS425's, and let them exchange routes between each other via the common transit VLAN.

bbc
Conversationalist

@PhilipDAth Thank you for the feedback.

I was playing around packet tracer with just Cisco switches after my initial post and did try out the single transit VLAN between the core(MX) and aggregation switches (MS425s). I haven't tried out the OSPF, as I ended up trying out a static route on both MS425s, but definitely like the idea of running OSPF instead. 

What would be my next step towards ensuring everything gets internet access on the MX side? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX will need static routes for the VLANs behind the switches, via the switch it is on.  After that they will all have Internet access.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels