Hi Ryan, Thank you for replying. But when we check from MX firewall and core switch throughput values are ok. we have 2 mx450 active/passive. i swapped but again same issue continue. There is no user now. I m testing it and still bottleneck somewhere.
How are you measuring throughput? From the Tools tab on the switch or from a wired client using some other test method? If you're talking about the Tools tab throughput test that won't show maximum speed of the switch or internet circuit. Not even close.
And, MS390s will generally show a much faster throughput using the dashboard test tool versus traditional models like MS35x, 2xx, 1xx due to underlying architectural & software differences.
To measure wired client throughput you should be using standard tools like iPerf, speedtest.net, etc.
Are you troubleshooting a specific issue here or just seeing unexpected results using the throughput test?
yes, I'm using it from the Tools tab on the switch or from a wired client. When I use speed test from a wired pc it seems the connection ok. But still so hard to understand. But sometimes when i go to the speedtest tool having issue to connect server. %50 percent have this.
The tool on the switch webpage is merely an indicator. Due to the switches having specialised ASICs that are not good for general purpose compute tasks, the maximum performance you will see on an MS is very low. For example on a site of ours with a 500Mbps+ dedicated fibre connection, a MS355-24X gives 24Mbps and an MS120-8LP give 20Mbps. An MX250 on the same site gives 268Mbps. None are correct and the more general purpose nature of the MXs CPU gives a much higher result.
Thank you so much. I think my problem was about content filtering. As you said tools is not showing us the problem. i was trying to go to speedtest page the first time or second attempt even sytem was not able to reach server. DoH and DoT filtering was enabled in the content filtering. That could be the issue.