Meraki Switch MS120-8FP keeps updating it's firmware

CFC-OZ
New here

Meraki Switch MS120-8FP keeps updating it's firmware

Never been used switch that sat in a box for a few months won't stop updating it's firmware everytime it is plugged in. After an hour-ish of updating it will then just stay a solid orange (offline). Any suggestions? probably need to replace it? 

7 Replies 7
dcatiller
Getting noticed

Do you have any idea what firmware it had on it vs. the current level for the network it is plugged into?

If it is far enough out, I could see it needing more than one pass at updating. 

I don't know that for sure because I have not had to do that.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to contact support.  They can often fix this when it happens.

MasG
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello, 

Is expected that when a switch connects to the dashboard after being offline for sometime it tries to update its firmware only if the network's firmware is different than the running firmware. Is highly possible that if switch sat in a box for months the network's firmware changed and therefore it tried to update. 

Is not expected to see a switch to stay or enter in a firmware upgrade loop. Which normally happens when the device keeps rebooting after failed upgrade attempt. In this case the recommendation is to contact Meraki Support for additional help in troubleshooting the issue. 

I thought I was in a update loop due to it taking close to 4ish hours and seemingly stopping and starting, but it finally stopped and got online. thanks for the suggestions everyone!

It is online now, but I see it is updating again? Not sure why this is happening 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does the local status page match the network firmware?

CFStevens
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @CFC-OZ

Judging by what you have said, your switch likely needs a quick check by a Meraki Network Support Engineer. Please give us a call when you have a free moment to troubleshoot and we would be happy to help. 

:]

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels