Meraki MS450-12 not linking on any port to fortigate 100F

CMiranda1
New here

Meraki MS450-12 not linking on any port to fortigate 100F

Hello,

I have a Meraki MS450-12 using QSFP+ to SFP+ converter and then a SFP+ 10GbE to connect that to a Fortigate 100F using 10Gbe SFP+, on the fortigate side i see th port coming up, and on the Meraki side does not link, on the local page of the meraki the port is off, nothing is detected.

On any of the 12 ports also i hava another MS450-12 doing the same

I also used a Cisco breakout cable model QSFP-4SFP10G-CU3M and is doing the same, the forti side of the connection comes up, and the meraki side is off and not sensing anything connected to it.

Any suggestions?

Regards 

15 Replies 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS450-12 does not have SFP+ ports.

alemabrahao_0-1693941552353.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Correct, that is why i am using a QSFP+ to SFP+ converter and the using a mini gbic sfp to conect to the mini gbic port on the fortigate 100F

Also i am using the breakout cable from cisco, that breakout a single 40 Gig QSFP+ port onto 4 10Gig port to connect to the fortigate.

But the fortigate side does come up the port and on the meraki side is like nothing is connected to any port i plugged the cable to.

Regards,

I'll be more specific, you're saying you're converting a QSFP+ to SFP+, MS450-12 doesn't support SFP+ only normal SFPs.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

My mistake, you are correct, i am using a 10gig mini gbic and the breakout cable from cisco, one again you are correct, it is not SFP+ it is normal SFP, but still is not linking.

Either using the breakout cable from cisco or the regular converter from qsfp to sfp, any ides if there is a setting i have to do on the local page of the meraki?

I've even tried to force the speed to 1000 Mbps using a mini gbic tot he 1 gig port on the fortigate 100f and is not linking.

Regards,

Look, I could be wrong, but I believe it won't work with a converter.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy an SFP instead of a converter?

The thing is that i need to lower the speed on the 40 gig port on the meraki to 10 gig in order to connect to the fortigate 100F 10 gig port.

Do you know y chance if there is such a connector? to lower the speed on the meraki to a 10 gig port on other device?

Regards,

I don't know, and I'm still pretty sure it won't work.

I see, well, i'll keep searching to see if i find any info on this subject,

Regards,

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CMiranda1 you can't use breakout cables with Meraki switches.  The firmware only has one logical port per physical port.  It is annoying, but there don't seem to be any plans to add it as a feature.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It looks like you need to go up to at least a 1000F to get 40GbE ports on a Fortigate.  Not really a surprise when the 100F only support 1Gbps of throughput, whereas the 1000F supports 13Gbps.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CMiranda1 the 100F doesn't have 10Gb ports. 

Are you sure?

alemabrahao_0-1693944520012.png

Hello,

The X1 and X2 ports are 10 Gig ports on the 100F

Yeah my apologies didn't have my glasses on. They are Forti-link ports by default, you will need to make sure you change the port type before using them. 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As mentioned by others no breakout cables are supported. The only converter supported is the CVR-QSFP-SFP10G version 2. This is mentioned here https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npid=2301

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 15.21.52.png

Anything outside of the above is not tested or supported so you may luck out and it works, but likely it will not.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels