Meraki MS - Warm spare VRRP

Pavan_Pawar
Getting noticed

Meraki MS - Warm spare VRRP

Hello Experts,

I have configured the warm spare between Meraki MS switches and it's working fine but I could not find the VMAC anywhere in the switch, I know it starts with 88-15-44 but wanted to know the full virtual MAC of the switch.

I can find it by taking packet captures but want to know how Switch calculates it.

Any RFC to refer for it?

Regards,

Pavan

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The VRRP MAC address will not be available on the dashboard. But can be easily identified as the first 3 octets are always "cc:03:d9" and the last two octets are always of the primary MX as it sends the virtual mac as a part of the VRRP process.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

As per the document, the first three octets would be 88:15:44, I want to know the calculation for the last three octets

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

Have you checked the RFC?

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3768.html#page-19

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao_0-1698752340074.png

Take a packet capture , it should be the lact 3 octets of the switch that is currently the primary. 

I took the captures 

Primart MAC - 14:9f:43:a3:ad:e8",
Secondary mac- 14:9f:43:a4:09:88",
VMAC": "88:15:44:38:00:01"

so the calculation you mentioned does not match

@alemabrahao can you take a look?

Meraki said that so you have to check with them. 

I will contact Meraki TAC

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels