Meraki DNS Settings

Solved
ToryDav
Building a reputation

Meraki DNS Settings

Hello,

I am looking for some insight into configuring DNS on Meraki Switching VS Meraki MX. If I am configuring DNS on the Meraki MX on the network edge under uplink settings, then configuring DNS on each individual switch in my network as well, if I don't use the same settings.. which would a client attached to one of those switches use, the MX or the MS? 

1 Accepted Solution
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I tend to see "DNS is misconfigured" even while the configuration is verified, and correct. Often, it's due to some sort of caching going on, so I'd wait a couple of hours and see if it goes away on it's own.
LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

DNS settings affect the Meraki box you're configuring, e.g. for being able to talk to the dashboard. That does not affect your client devices at all, these would receive their DNS settings via DHCP (possibly).

ToryDav
Building a reputation

@CptnCrnch Hi Thank you for your response. My only point of confusion lies in the behavior this causes, when the switch is alerting DNS is misconfigured, the clients are affected and cannot resolve DNS.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Those are static overrides like on a client computer. Depending there the client is getting DHCP from then that will determine the DNS server used, otherwise fall back to static assignment

ToryDav
Building a reputation

@SoCalRacer  Thank you for your reply. My Switch is  assigned 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 yet experiences "DNS is misconfigured" and becomes disabled intermittently. This causes their clients to fail until the alert clears.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

I assume a reboot on the switch has been done and firmware is up to date?

ToryDav
Building a reputation

@SoCalRacer 
Yep. We did a reboot this morning on the switch experiencing the issue, but not the entire stack. SW2 and SW3 didnt seem to be affected, or at least did not show the same alert. 

Code is up to date

Current version: MS 12.17
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I tend to see "DNS is misconfigured" even while the configuration is verified, and correct. Often, it's due to some sort of caching going on, so I'd wait a couple of hours and see if it goes away on it's own.
LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels