MS425 Not affecting current network

SOLVED
edunnington
Conversationalist

MS425 Not affecting current network

Hello,

I am not new to networking but i just started at a new company that is somewhat in a transition of network topology. Basically the way things work or are currently setup is we have branch locations that route in on a vpn to a switch which route into a sonicwall then out to the world.

The branches are on the cloud already but our corporate devices are 2960x's and some HP's. My main question is this, how can i add my new MS425 to the cloud without affecting any kind routing. I want to get it setup and configured but not affect anything until I am ready.

Thanks, sorry for the noob question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @edunnington

The beauty of Meraki is that you can configure the device itself in the dashboard before it is unboxed and connected. If you'd like to check your configurations are correct or test them beforehand, you should be able to configure an open port (assuming you have one) on the SonicWall, plug your new MS into it to get it connected and allow the config to push down to the device.  

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @edunnington

The beauty of Meraki is that you can configure the device itself in the dashboard before it is unboxed and connected. If you'd like to check your configurations are correct or test them beforehand, you should be able to configure an open port (assuming you have one) on the SonicWall, plug your new MS into it to get it connected and allow the config to push down to the device.  

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

@WadeAlsup

Expanding on this because this idea does sound better. I would want to create the ability to basically only communicate with cisco cloud and thats it. 

Is there any information out there regarding this? Maybe what to allow, do a basic ACL or something on that port and deny everything but cisco stuff.

@edunnington, if you already have your dashboard setup with the device added...

You can go to Help > Firewall Info and it should show you exactly what is needed for cloud connectivity for the devices within your Meraki network. (I realize this may only be the single MS that you have)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you have an Internet connection you use for testing (not connected to the rest of your network) you could also use that.  If you have a 1000BaseT SFP you could also take it home and plug it in there ...

JPena
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can pre-configure the switch without it being plugged in via the dashboard. Once configured, you should be able to plug it into your LAN and have it connect to the dashboard.
Jose Pena
Network Support Engineer @ Cisco Meraki .:|:.:|:.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels