MS425 Firmware version when stacking

SOLVED
Hubble
Getting noticed

MS425 Firmware version when stacking

Hi All,

I have 2 MS425-32 stacked and need to add 2 more MS425-16 and extend stacking, do all the switches need to have the same firmware version to stack? Number of ports doesn't matter right as long as they are the same model?

Thanks,

Marlon 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

The firmware to be installed is determined by what is configured as desired version for that network. So you should be fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Number of ports doesn't matter.

They'll automatically install the right firmware upon connection to the dashboard. Make sure to follow the procedure:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Flexible_Switch_Stack_Configuration_Steps

Thanks @BrechtSchamp . 

When you say they'll automatically install, will they install the same firmware version of the existing stacked switches to match or the latest firmware version available? 

The current firmware version on existing MS425 is MS 10.40 and it says "Update Available", so now I'm not sure if we should update firmware first before adding the new stacks. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>do all the switches need to have the same firmware version to stack

Yes.  Let them upgrade before attempting to add them to the stack.  They can take quite a while, so I tend to plug them in a day before doing the actual job.

Thanks @PhilipDAth 

The current firmware version on existing MS425 is MS 10.40 and it says "Update Available", so now I'm not sure if we should update their firmware first before adding the new stacks.

Also, as I posted another question, will they automatically install the same version of existing switches or the latest firmware available? 

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

The firmware to be installed is determined by what is configured as desired version for that network. So you should be fine.

Okay, thanks @BrechtSchamp 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels