MS425 Core Requirements Multicast for VOIP Paging

jwwork
Getting noticed

MS425 Core Requirements Multicast for VOIP Paging

I have a 425 stack running at the core doing all my layer 3 routing.  We have around 10 vlans with Cisco voip phones in them.  We use synapps to do paging to all phones.  What do I need to configure under multicast for this to work?  Do I need to enable multicast routing on each VOIP vlan and then create an RP for each?

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Enable IGMP snooping.

The options for IGMP snooping and flood unknown multicast traffic are already on. We haven't tested it yet but plan to in the next day or two.  Just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I needed to do.  I do not have multicast routing enabled on the vlans.

jwwork
Getting noticed

Tested today and the paging to the voip phones worked but we have some Valcom speakers that did not work.  I thought the speakers may need multicast routing enabled so I enabled it on only the vlan the horns are in (horns and synapps server are in same vlan) and things all across the network started to go down in every vlan.  I turned multicast routing back off and everything went back to normal.  I currently don't have multicast routing enabled on any vlan and have IGMP snooping and flood unknown multicast enabled (were enabled by default).

RyanS1
Conversationalist

I know this is old, but what did you do to get the Valcom equip working

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels