MS355 Switches for a Reliable Stack

Solved
cscarpa
Conversationalist

MS355 Switches for a Reliable Stack

Hi!

I have a customer with 2 MS355 access switches in different IDF closets 50 meters apart, but they still want to build a stack between them.

Could we use a 100 GB fiber instead of the stack cables to interconnect those stack ports? Do you think it will work?

I was checking the Flexible Stack feature as an option, but it's only supported on 420 and 425...

I'm thinking of running a 40 GB fiber between them and leaving the redundancy to RSTP. Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The 100Gb fibre would not be supported, though it might work.  If you have the hardware and can test it, it would be good to know, but otherwise I'd go with the 40Gb option you've chosen.  The main reason I've stacked 355s is to have hosts and SANs connected with LAGs across the switches, but I don't think you'll be doing that, or is that the plan?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The 100Gb fibre would not be supported, though it might work.  If you have the hardware and can test it, it would be good to know, but otherwise I'd go with the 40Gb option you've chosen.  The main reason I've stacked 355s is to have hosts and SANs connected with LAGs across the switches, but I don't think you'll be doing that, or is that the plan?

cscarpa
Conversationalist

Thanks for sharing your experience!
They've tried with a long fiber and the switches seem to be not recognizing the GBICs on the stack ports...

Those MS355 switches will connect to an ACI Spine Layer 2 switch, so they can't make the redundancy any other way on Layer 3.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately it will not work. The best option is using the LACP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
IvanJukic
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @cscarpa ,

For Stacking it wont work. Port Aggregation it the way to go for connectivity between the two. See below guide for supported Accessories.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Small-Form_Factor_Plu...

Cheers,

Ivan Jukić,
Meraki APJC

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If it solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels