MS355 - LAG using mGbE interfaces - is this supported

ScottBussell
Here to help

MS355 - LAG using mGbE interfaces - is this supported

Have a customer that has 6A cabling between multiple closets (no fiber) and looking for additional inter-switch capacity (along with MR53 support).   Was hoping to use MS355 series with mGbe interfaces for copper uplinks but wasn't able to find any information that they would be able to be used in a LAG (Aggregated).

SCOTT W BUSSELL
10 REPLIES 10
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

It also specifies this further down on the datasheet

*802.3ad Link aggregation with up to 8 ports per aggregate, Multichassis aggregates
supported on stacked switches

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Wait...maybe I'm confused lol

I thought he was just asking if he could aggregate two ports together (which happen to be mGig ports). The MLAG in what I circled wasn't what i was referencing, just the LACP portion on the main bullet point.
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring wrote:
Wait...maybe I'm confused lol

I thought he was just asking if he could aggregate two ports together (which happen to be mGig ports). The MLAG in what I circled wasn't what i was referencing, just the LACP portion on the main bullet point.

I think that's indeed what Scott was asking. The datasheet indeed specifies that LAG is supported (and even MLAG but M stands for multichassis in this case) but it doesn't specify if that's also for the multigig ports. We have no reason to believe it isn't supported but I'd rather see it black on white too.

I thought MLAG was just aggregation of 2 ports, but on different switches (if the switches are stacked in the back).

Like port 1 on switch 1, aggregated with port 1 on switch 2 (and the switches are stacked together in the back with actual stacking cables etc.).
TwitterLinkedIn

Yes that is indeed what it is. It's also called that in other multichassis setups like VSS.

Thanks to both of you for discussing this.    I am more interested in doing a LAG (with LACP) using mGbe (multi-rate gigabit ethernet) interfaces.

Example:   Copper Ethernet (mGbe at 10Gbps) x 2 = 10Gbps LAG

I am assuming that both interfaces would need to be of the same type (which would be copper) and that the rate would need to be set (1G, 2.5G, 5G, 10G).   

Just want to make sure that these TYPES of interfaces are able to for a LAG based on those basic requirements in the Meraki code.

SCOTT W BUSSELL

Hey team, I don't have the lab gear right now to test this right now (only have a single MS350-24X) but yes, you should be able to connect two switches together using mGig ports for 20Gbps between the switches, and they should auto-negotiate that, and if you've got stacks then cross-stack LACP should work as expected.  Would you happen to have a bit of lab gear to confirm you can link-agg multiple mGig connections between switches?  

Unfortunately I don't have any lab gear to test this specific case out.   That would have made this process much easier.

🙂

I appreciate the response.   I have a call into my local Meraki AM and their SE to see if I can get verification.   I will post here when I receive that response.

SCOTT W BUSSELL
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels