MS250 routing

SOLVED
bharris8800
Conversationalist

MS250 routing

I can set the static routes to have some traffic flow to the ISP and another route to flow across the street to a sister company connected by dark fiber.  

What I am trying to accomplish is a poor man's SD-WAN, by wondering if my primary internet circuit goes down will I still be able to change the default route on the MS250 through the sister companies internet connection? 

If not, can I get to the routes in the local access connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi@bharris8800 

As you know Meraki Products are managed from the cloud. On MS250 Switch if the Primary Link (MS250 Management Traffic) fails we loose the opportunity to make any configuration changes. The Local Status Page will not offer any routing feature.

However you may manually change the IP Address & VLAN settings for the device to reach cloud.

As @Nash suggests  I understand MX.x will be a better option to achieve such requirements though.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nash
Kind of a big deal

If you had an MX, this would be real easy to do. Just connect each link to your WAN interfaces and be done with it.

Unfortunately, an MS won't do this. I'm looking at the routing setup on an MS350. There's no option to setup any kind of "ip sla"-type link monitoring. You can get that on an MX, but not a Meraki switch.

bharris8800
Conversationalist

Thanks.  That was what I was thinking and planning on doing, but the ISP came back with a cheaper deal to add their own firewall.

I was just curious, if possible, when the ISP went down would I be able to manually change the default route to the sister company and when the internet came back just manually change it back.

I know it is doable, just not sure if I would be able to access the config.  Technically I would have internal connectivity to it through dark fiber, but not sure if Meraki would see it to give access to the config page.  And if not, could I change the default route on the local web console page.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi@bharris8800 

As you know Meraki Products are managed from the cloud. On MS250 Switch if the Primary Link (MS250 Management Traffic) fails we loose the opportunity to make any configuration changes. The Local Status Page will not offer any routing feature.

However you may manually change the IP Address & VLAN settings for the device to reach cloud.

As @Nash suggests  I understand MX.x will be a better option to achieve such requirements though.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Got it.

I will just tell them to suck it up and buy an MX.

I hate they are sometimes so cheap that I have to find a 'workaround' instead of the proper solution.

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

As mentioned you will get a more rich experience and fully featured SD-WAN using an MX.

However, if all you’ve got is an MS250, I will note one feature you might be able to leverage, which would be ECMP routing.

If both upstream gateways can run OSPF and if they both can advertise a default external route (0.0.0.0/0) to the MS250 with the same cost, the MS250 will load balance traffic to both gateways using ECMP.

It is purely active/active and won’t provide as much flexibility as an MX (nor will it do NAT), but it is a possible configuration to use in a pinch. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels