MS250 Question

si2023
Conversationalist

MS250 Question

Hi,

We are looking to migrate from Cisco IOS to Meraki MS250 stack, the current configuration to our provider is an access vlan to a primary/secondary router, they have configured the interfaces as .251 and .252 with a vip of .253 on a /21 subnet.  The /21 is then redistributed into BGP

Example output from router.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
description Customer LAN
ip address x.x.x.x.251 255.255.248.0
ip helper-address x.x.x.x

standby 10 ip x.x.x.253
standby 10 priority 110
standby 10 preempt
standby 10 track 123 decrement 30

Routers are currently connected to a cisco stack via access vlan 2 as follows: -

Example out from switch stack

interface Vlan2
description *** WAN Services ***
ip address x.x.x..254 255.255.255.224

Then several other vlans carved up from the /21 on this stack

i.e.

interface Vlan110
description *** Wireless Data ***
ip address x.x.x.30 255.255.255.224
!
interface Vlan120
description *** Wireless Voice ***
ip address x.x.x.62 255.255.255.224
!

There is a route on the cisco stack 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.253

This works and all services are accessiable from other locations.

If migrating this to Meraki MS if we set a layer 3 interface as vlan 2 and add the other vlans as L3 interfaces adding the mgmt IP addresses as x.x.x.248 and .249 with a GW of .253 on vlan 2

I have a feeling that the switches will come online but we won't be able to reach vlan 110 or 120

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If I understand correctly, the Gateway for VLAN 110 and 120 networks will continue to be your Catalyst switch, right?

Theoretically you have a default route on MS pointing to the Catalyst IP, so it should work. If it doesn't work, it creates more specific routes for each of the subnets.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
si2023
Conversationalist

Thnks for the reply.

The Catalysts will be replaced with the MS250s so the L3 interfaces would be added on the Meraki with a default route back to the providers routers

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the SVIs are going to be directly connected to the MS, why do you think you won't be able to reach vlan 110 or 120?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That should work fine, more or less exactly the same way as the catalyst did. You just need to ensure there is a static default route on the MX pointing to the providers router.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What re-distributes VLAN110 and VLAN120 into the router?  A dynamic routing protocol on the Cico IOS switch you are replacing?  Or is it simple static routes on the router?

If it is simple static routes, and their is no dynamic routing protocol running on the Cisco IOS switch then it will be fine.

si2023
Conversationalist

Thanks all

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels