MS225 won't accept VLAN traffic

Solved
TravisN
Conversationalist

MS225 won't accept VLAN traffic

Hey,

I'm having an issue that I'm going in circles with Support on but just wanted to get some community insight on it first. We have a MX65W that has 3 VLANs  setup - Default (1), a VoIP (12), and a test network (16). All ports except 11, 12, and 13 are disabled on the MX. Port 11 is a trunk with all VLANs allowed and default VLAN 1. Ports 12 and 13 are set to access ports on VLAN 16. On the MS side, port 1 is a trunk, all VLANs allowed, default VLAN 1. All ports on the MS are set to trunk, default VLAN. Port 12 and port 24 on the MS are set to access ports and VLAN 16. Here's where things get strange. I plug a computer into port 12 on the MS. It pulls an IP from the proper VLAN but limited connectivity. The MS cannot ping the device but it shows connectivity. I plug the computer into the MX port 12, obtains the proper IP (same DHCP IP it gets from the switch, in fact, all DHCP details are the same), full connectivity. I plug the computer into any other port on the MS so it pulls from VLAN 1, full connectivity.

When I engaged Meraki Support, they checked the switch and said everything was configured properly. I pull packet captures from the switch, I see the DHCP process in full. Do I have a bad switch that doesn't like VLANs or did I miss something somewhere? No ACLs or anything other than the defaults.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
TravisN
Conversationalist

So I got a crazy idea. Pulled the power out of the switch, plugged it back in, and now everything is working as expected.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Can you post a screenshot of the VLAN/subnet config on the MX? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@TravisN

I have had several issues with setting up VLANs and have had to sort out what seemed a little odd initially.

So my comments are based on making it easier to to find a configuration that works.

The first thing I did was to set up all the VLANs and DHCP servers on the MX plus a separate management VLAN. Then I set all the switch ports to be trunks and have the each of the switch ports,  handle all VLANs.  If this is done carefully all devices should have connectivity whichever the port they are attached to.

Then set the network devices to use the management VLAN, and check that there are no issues. If there are problems you may have to reset the switch, which will require full reconfiguration, if everything isn't right then there will be orange or red warnings on the dashboard. The switch may be confused as to which DHCP to use to get its IP address lease from.

Once this is functioning correctly you can change those ports on the switch that are access only to the appropriate VLAN and make sure that the uplink ports will handle only the VLANs you intend them to pass.

If you want some screen shots of what I have, let me know and I'll post them, in the morning (UK time).

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Søren_Steinmetz
Here to help

Port 12 and 13 on the MX (the Access VLan 16), how are they connected to the MS, and how are those ports on the MS configured ?

Port 1 on the MS, is that the only one connected to the MX and if so on what port on the MX?

TravisN
Conversationalist

So I got a crazy idea. Pulled the power out of the switch, plugged it back in, and now everything is working as expected.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels