Building a reputation

MS225 vs MS250

MS225

- Capability:  Layer 2

- Basic Layer 3 Connectivity

MS250

- Capability: Layer 3

Layer 3 Access

The difference is the MS250 can route at layer 3. 

So what exactly does the MS225 do at Layer 3 - Just VLAN connectivity and DHCP? So, basically the MS225s are not really L3 switches?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Claes_Karlsson
Getting noticed

MS225 - I think you may only configure basic connectivity settings for each VLAN. You don't point the switch itself as the default-gateway for the client like it would be for a SVI, you rather point out a different device for default-gateway. Also OSPF area settings are disabled.

In the MS250, I believe you have options to do more SVI and routing stuff and also distribute and learn routes from OSPF. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ms225= 

Static routing only 
DHCP Relay

You can use 16 x L3 svi and 16 static routes

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Whereas MS250 can be a DHCP server and has more routing options than simple static routes.  Also I *think* that MS225/210 are limited to a total of 16SVI and static routes combined (though I may be wrong.

Claes_Karlsson
Getting noticed

MS225 - I think you may only configure basic connectivity settings for each VLAN. You don't point the switch itself as the default-gateway for the client like it would be for a SVI, you rather point out a different device for default-gateway. Also OSPF area settings are disabled.

In the MS250, I believe you have options to do more SVI and routing stuff and also distribute and learn routes from OSPF. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Claes_Karlsson MS225 L3 limitations are only that it is static routes only and 16 routed subnets.  We use them as the routing core at our HQ and didn't have any issues.  We use an MX for the DHCP.

GFrazier
Building a reputation

@cmr 

So, you guys are just using them for inter-Vlan connectivity then? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GFrazier yes, we have 16 SVIs and a default route (so @Claes_Karlsson may be correct that you can have 16 of each...), we also have another VLAN that doesn't have an SVI as it is the management VLAN.

GFrazier
Building a reputation

@cmr 

Thanks... Quick Question:

I have a client setup that will have all MS225 switches in each IDF on separate floors.  In this case, the MS225 stack (3 switches) in the MDF should do the Inter-VLAN Routing being that would be the "core" switch, right?   

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes that's how I'd do it, IDF switches pure L2 with MDF switch stack doing L3 routing.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One point to note: you will need a Cisco RPS2300 redundant power system if you want power supply protection as the MS225/210 have one built in PSU and the RPS connector whereas the MS250 has the option for a second PSU.

With static routes, you can point traffic at any destination you require, not just another VLAN on the same L3 switch.   Many customers require just a handful of (summary) routes, which they can ppoint at their WAN CPE or Internet firewall.   If the next-hop address is provided using VRRP or HSRP, you can have a degree of dynamic resilience too.   It might not address every possible need - but it will be good enough for lots of deployments.

Thanks for the responses. I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to implementing OSPF to get rid of confusing static routes everywhere.

Heads-up. It is possible to use the MS225 SVI's for client default-gateways and then route between subnets on that same switch.  

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes we do that at our HQ, inter VLAN routing and off to the WAN all on stacked 210s (same software stack as 225s)

bluecavalry
Here to help

Your post was very timely for me.   Trying to get rid of static routes on Meraki ms225's.   Thought I was going to implement simple OSPF.....but no.....Meraki strikes again.   Totally amazing that even simple OSPF cannot be configured on the Meraki ms225 "Layer 3 Routing".  Static routes only. 

When I see the term Layer 3 Routing, I expect at a minimum RIP and/or OSPF.     Thousands of dollars on switches, and then discover that Meraki splits hairs on "L3 Routing".   arrrrgh

GFrazier
Building a reputation

@bluecavalry 

Well, I found that the MS225's just have limited Layer 3 capabilities like inter-VLAN connectivity - they don't have full Layer 3 routing abilities.

The MS250s and above are actually Layer 3 switches with full Layer 3 capabilities.

Switching capabilities
  • Layer 3
  • Warm spare redundancy (VRRP)
  • OSPF Routing
  • MAC forwarding entries, up to 32K
  • DHCP Server, DHCP Relay
  • 802.1X Authentication
  • DHCP Snooping
  • STP Enhancements
  • IPv4 and IPv6 ACLs

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/switches/stackable-access-switches/ms250-48/

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The difference between 225 and 250 is clearer than for example the difference between 250 and 350.
There is no feature difference, only a larger CAM table and many more interfaces (don't know why so much) and a wider stacking bandwidth.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also the MS350 range includes mgig and UPoE whereas the MS250 does not

From my experience, different levels of Layer-3 support is common across many manufacturers, for their more price-sensitive product lines (there's a reason why they cost less).   That tends to fall in much the same way;   starts with routing between directly connected VLANs + static routes, probably with a limited number of routes - then adds features & capacity (and usually complexity!) as the cost of the models goes up.

I think attention to detail, in reviewing available documentation, in advance of purchase, is definitely recommended, regardless of manufacturer.   Layer-3 is just one of those blanket terms that covers a variety of actual technologies.  if you specifically want any of those technologies, best to check they're supported, up-front.

I agree that a lot of terms are over-used.  Unfortunately, I have inherited these various networks with ms225s.

I suppose that my frustration with Meraki on this, is that if OSPF is not possible on the ms225, then why even mention OSPF in the dashboard?   A pull-down with "OSPF Disabled" suggests to me that there is a way to turn it on.  Seems like a cut-and-paste from the the main branch of ms2xx series.    

Hmm I believe that last part is a little hard because you can have a multitude of switchtypes in one single dashboard network.

Maybe a pop-up like the QoS and stormcontrol pop-ups you get when you have MS1x series switches in your network would be a better choice.

It's easier to check if something is then to check everything for something that isn't.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels