MS220-8P

FozzyFoster
Conversationalist

MS220-8P

Good Afternoon

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, or at least point me in the right direction.

I have recently purchased an MS220-8P switch for my home network, and when I mean purchased, I mean I bought it off eBay (I'm already thinking this is a mistake). However, when I try and register the device, its already telling me that the "devices are already in use". 

Okay fine...

So I have contacted the seller, he advised me to contact the Meraki Customer Support Team, Which is great... so I call the number and its asking for my "customer number" under the help tab, top right in the Meraki Dashboard...... well, I don't have a customer number, so i cant go any further on the phone call until I find my customer number... all I have is the help options, then right to that is my name, with Profile, of which doesn't show my customer number.

I have to say, that I have only just registered the account within the last 48-72 hours. 

Any help, advice or guidance would be hugely appreciated

Regards

Fozzy

(P.S I'm new to the Cisco/Meraki world, so please be gentle!)

3 Replies 3
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@FozzyFoster you need to have both the hardware and a license to operate Meraki equipment.  You will need to have the eBay seller "unclaim" the equipment from their Meraki Dashboard organization so that you can claim it into yours after you create your account at dashboard.meraki.com.  Meraki Support won't be able to assist with that, it is up to the buyer and seller when it's purchased 3rd party.  I would reach out to the eBay seller right away and/or start the resolution or return process via eBay. 

When the equipment was originally purchased, the legally binding agreement is between Cisco/Meraki and the original owner, and cannot be transferred, because an eBay seller is not an authorized seller/reseller.  There's a definite risk (regardless of vendor) when buying used equipment on the grey market, because it's completely outside the terms of the original agreement.  So the critical thing is to make sure the seller is actually selling what they sya they are selling, and will actually un-claim the equipment from their Dashboard organization.

Here is another thread with notes that should be helpful.  https://community.meraki.com/t5/Off-the-Stack/Do-not-buy-Used-Meraki-Equipment-from-eBay-Or-Any-Unau...

There is also a brief mention on the licensing topic here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing_FAQs

Can I purchase a new license for a used piece of hardware purchased on the secondary market?

A: Before purchasing any piece of Cisco Meraki hardware on a secondary market such as eBay, you are advised to contact Meraki support to confirm that the hardware has not been reported stolen from a Cisco Meraki trial program or a bona fide purchaser. Please have the serial number of each piece of hardware available when you contact Cisco Meraki support. Cisco Meraki will not support or sell licenses for hardware units that have been reported stolen.

Superb!!!!

Exactly what I didn't want to hear, but fully understand the situation!

Looks as though I've got myself a brand new door stop!

I'll contact him again quoting the above response, see what he has to say.

Lesson learnt!

Thank you @MerakiDave for your assistance!

@FozzyFoster what was the intended use of the MS220-8P?  If it was simply for SOHO use, I'd suggest going with the "Meraki Go" product.  https://www.meraki-go.com/

Good luck with the MS220-8P, since the transaction just took place in the last couple days, there should be a resolution and return process or dispute mechanism that can be leveraged, unless of course you have an MS220-8P license and the seller un-claims the unit so you can claim it into your Dashboard organization, then perhaps you're good to go. 

Also, if you already purchased the license (would have been LIC-MS220-8P-xYR where x could be 1/3/5/7/10 years) then you can typically RMA licenses within the first 30 days as well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels