cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS120 Uplink vlan no connection

New here

MS120 Uplink vlan no connection

Hi!

I have a pfsense router with a vlan configured on port 3. My MS120 switch is directly connected to this port.

My pfsense vlan settings are:

Interface 3 (Port 3):

No IP assigned

VLAN 1 (native on interface 3):

IP: 10.20.2.1/24

Via the local access page I configured the switch to match the pfsense settings:

IP: 10.20.2.4

VLAN: 1

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.20.2.1

DNS: 8.8.8.8

Unfortunately, the light on the switch remains orange and my pfsense router does not see it. When I connect the cable coming from the router to my Mac and create a new virtual vlan interface with tag 1 and the same ip/mask/gateway/dns as the switch, it connects just fine.

Not sure why it's not working on the switch as my pfsense vlans seem to be configured properly.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES
Head in the Cloud

Re: MS120 Uplink vlan no connection

How is the port on that switch configured? Try removing the VLAN on the switch port configuration. Just delete 1 and hit save. Report back your results.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
New here

@NolanHerring wrote:
How is the port on that switch configured? Try removing the VLAN on the switch port configuration. Just delete 1 and hit save. Report back your results.

The uplink port on the switch is set to trunk (native vlan 1, allowed vlans: all). I can't seem to remove the vlan from the uplink configuration (invalid vlan specified).

Head in the Cloud

For the sake of trial and error, what if you change the port from trunk to access?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Kind of a big deal

>When I connect the cable coming from the router to my Mac and create a new virtual vlan interface with tag 1 and the same ip/mask/gateway/dns as the switch, it connects just fine.

If you have to create a VLAN interface on your MAC with a tag of 1 - and it works - then it suggests that your Mac is tagging those packets.  The pfSense box is configured to have VLAN1 as being native - so that should not be working.

With a native vlan of 1 on the pfSense box, you should be able to just plug your Mac in just access it, without creating any VLAN interface.  I would get pfSense to the point where you can just plug in the mac (without a VLAN configuration) and get it working.  Once that works, the MS will alsmost certainly work.

Labels