MS120-8FP unable to locally connect

gijo
Conversationalist

MS120-8FP unable to locally connect

Tried locally connecting to 1.1.1.100 on a previously configured switch and couldn't connect. Did a factory reset and still didn't work. This switch has no management port so I connected to the ports on the front.

The same didn't work on a switch that was fresh off the box, either case was the same model. I called the TAC and still couldn't get it to work. Any one experienced the same issue?

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you receive an IP? Have you tried configuring a static IP on your machine?

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
gijo
Conversationalist

I did configure a static IP on my computer. I do not get an IP address via DHCP either.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ms120 known issues

• Factory resetting a device can lead to the local status page being unavailable from the LAN port (present since MS 15)

Cant you just connect it to internet and manage it from dashboard?

gijo
Conversationalist

Thats not an option.

FeliA
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @gijo,

What error is seen in the browser when connecting to the front switch port and browsing to http://switch.meraki.com ?

Is a DHCP server configured on the equipment upstream of the switch? If no, would you be able to configure DHCP services? If yes, is the switch seen in the ARP table?
If the switch is receiving a valid LAN IP address via DHCP, you could try to browse to that IP address instead of 1.1.1.100.

gijo
Conversationalist

I get error 1001 DNS resolution error

FeliA
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi gijo,
If using custom or internal DNS servers, would you be able to change the primary DNS to use Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 is recommended by Meraki)?

Also, would it be possible to connect the switch to a network that has DHCP services available and then observe if the switch receives a valid DHCP IP address? If an MX appliance is upstream of the switch, DHCP services can be configured directly on the MX and DNS set to Google.

By default, Meraki devices will attempt to find a valid IP via DHCP on any network or VLAN that's reachable where the default gateway is replying to ARP requests. This is an intended function to bring the device online and allow it to initially report to the dashboard.

If the switch is able to initially connect to the dashboard, further troubleshooting can be performed regarding its static IP configuration and Local Status page access.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels