MS120-8FP POE switch installation behind ISR4000 router and Cisco switch2960

SOLVED
Tarmahmood1
Getting noticed

MS120-8FP POE switch installation behind ISR4000 router and Cisco switch2960

Hi,

Is it possible to install MS120-8FP switch behind ISR4000 router.

the setup will be like this

Internet <--> ISR4000 <--> Cisco2960 switch <--> Merak MS120-8FP.

How i will setup the in Meraki dasboard, will it get public IP for the ISR device? I am bit confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, It is.

Quick-Start

If you just want to get started without reading more in-depth information, follow these basic steps:

1. Unpack and mount your switch (desktop or rack mount) and power it on.
  2. Plug any one of the Ethernet or fiber ports into an upstream device on your LAN. The uplink port should have access to a DHCP server and it will also need to be able to communicate with the internet.  
  3. After powering on, your switch will download the latest software. While upgrading, the switch's power LED will flash green/white. Once the switch has checked into the dashboard, the LED will turn green/white. Note: A solid orange light indicates that the device has not checked in with the dashboard yet.
  4. Log in to http://dashboard.meraki.com (For any devices that are used in mainland China, please visit http://dashboard.meraki.cn and create a new network. If you do not yet have a dashboard account, choose "Create an Account") Type in the serial number of your switch (found on the back of the unit) or simply enter your order number. This will create a new switch network.
  5. Make your desired configuration changes under the Switch > Configure section of the dashboard.

For additional switch installation information, please refer to the MS Installation Guides article.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, It is.

Quick-Start

If you just want to get started without reading more in-depth information, follow these basic steps:

1. Unpack and mount your switch (desktop or rack mount) and power it on.
  2. Plug any one of the Ethernet or fiber ports into an upstream device on your LAN. The uplink port should have access to a DHCP server and it will also need to be able to communicate with the internet.  
  3. After powering on, your switch will download the latest software. While upgrading, the switch's power LED will flash green/white. Once the switch has checked into the dashboard, the LED will turn green/white. Note: A solid orange light indicates that the device has not checked in with the dashboard yet.
  4. Log in to http://dashboard.meraki.com (For any devices that are used in mainland China, please visit http://dashboard.meraki.cn and create a new network. If you do not yet have a dashboard account, choose "Create an Account") Type in the serial number of your switch (found on the back of the unit) or simply enter your order number. This will create a new switch network.
  5. Make your desired configuration changes under the Switch > Configure section of the dashboard.

For additional switch installation information, please refer to the MS Installation Guides article.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can setup any Meraki device in a LAN as long as the device can pull an IP address and reach the Internet.

It doesn't need to be directly plugged into the ISP, it can be behind a NAT gateway/firewall.
Once it communicates with the Meraki cloud and is registered in the Dashboard you're good to go.

Tarmahmood1
Getting noticed

@Brash @alemabrahao It worked without any issues. I just connected my switch to cisco 2960, after few minutes the switch was up and visible in Meraki dashboard. Thank you both of you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels