MS120-24 VLAN Setup

Solved
MuddyFox
Conversationalist

MS120-24 VLAN Setup

Hi all, Meraki first timer here. 

I was wondering how you best setup an MS120-24 for VLAN Traffic. We have a non Meraki setup predominantly and are looking to move over slowly. 

Our current VLAN setup segregates off our Wifi points (also not Meraki) and it's "virtual" SSIDs. 

So at the moment on port 1 of the existing switch we'd like the 120 to replace:

VLAN 30 - hardware

VLAN 50 - Wireless Access 1

VLAN 100 - Wireless Access 2

The traffic on VLAN 30 is untagged for the access point but tagged for 50 and 100. 

This then uplinks to an upstream switch on port 48 (VLAN 1 - Untagged, all other Tagged) 

I can't see a "traditional" way for configuring this so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Do I just list the accepted VLANS for port 1 on the MS120? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As your AP config is this:

VLAN 30 - hardware

The traffic on VLAN 30 is untagged for the access point but tagged for 50 and 100. 

On each switch port that an access point is connected to set the below:

cmr_0-1671651010281.png

This will put the traffic into the correct VLANs.  You'll also need to configure the ports that the devices in those VLANs need to talk to, depending on what you want them to see.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't need to create VLANs on the Meraki switch, you just need to set the VLANs that you want on ports.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Switch_Ports#Port_configuration

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As your AP config is this:

VLAN 30 - hardware

On each switch port that an access point is connected to set the below:

cmr_0-1671651010281.png

This will put the traffic into the correct VLANs.  You'll also need to configure the ports that the devices in those VLANs need to talk to, depending on what you want them to see.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your traditional way remains the same way you do it today.  However you don't need to define the VLAN's on the switches.  They are automatically in use if you use them on an access or trunk port.

So yes best practice is to have wireless user vlans tagged on the trunk port and the ap mgmt vlan untagged on the port.

In Meraki it is easier to use VLAN 1 native because you can more easily onboard Meraki switches that way however it goes against the best practice to not use an active used VLAN as trunk between switches to avoid VLAN hopping.  You also have the possibility to tag all VLANs on trunks between switches by just not setting a native VLAN.

MuddyFox
Conversationalist

Thanks for the responses all, what a great community experience for a first time poster 🙂

I will set up as CMR posted and see how it reacts. 

Happy Holidays! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels