Solved
TippTop
Comes here often

MS100 and MS425 core switch

Hi, quick query on VLANS within a Hyper V deployment

Want to set up 4-5 vms with different VLANs

Budget server (m110 gen 10) so only 2 physical NICS

Will have first nic for host management and second nic for virtual switch

Whats best way to trunk the VLANS (there are 5 of them) to the second nic?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are tons of documentation on https://documentation.meraki.com ...

But all depends on how your network is build. I would expect that the routing core is the MS425. With that the MX is completely out of the equation. If the Hyper-V is also attached to the Core, then the Access-switches are not relevant here. All you need to look at, are the two ports connecting to the VM-Host. Now I would think that a 10Gig-Port is a waste of ressources only for Hyper-V-Management. I would put both NICs to trunk and make sure that the VMs can use either ports which also gives you some redundancy.

If your setup is differnet, you should provide some more information here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
NGleich
Here to help

Hi TippTop,

Maybe this documentation article does help you.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Recommended_Configuration_for_Trunk_...

Kind Regards

Niklas

TippTop
Comes here often

Thanks both firewall and switches are Meraki

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Practically there is only "Trunk" available for this use-case. And if you do not need any native VLAN, I would leave native VLAN on the port blank and configure the HyperV to tag all the data-vlans.

TippTop
Comes here often

Thanks Karsten, is there any documentation on that

The Firewall is MX100

Core switch is ms425 then 10 MS225 switches

Is all this carried out on the core switch?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are tons of documentation on https://documentation.meraki.com ...

But all depends on how your network is build. I would expect that the routing core is the MS425. With that the MX is completely out of the equation. If the Hyper-V is also attached to the Core, then the Access-switches are not relevant here. All you need to look at, are the two ports connecting to the VM-Host. Now I would think that a 10Gig-Port is a waste of ressources only for Hyper-V-Management. I would put both NICs to trunk and make sure that the VMs can use either ports which also gives you some redundancy.

If your setup is differnet, you should provide some more information here.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @KarstenI said, I would use both NICs for hypervisor and guests.  Tag all the guest VLANs and the hypervisor connection, then on the switch ports set as trunk with no native VLAN.  Alternatively an easier setup to get up and running, though a little less secure, is to leave the hypervisor untagged and set it as the native VLAN on the switch trunk ports.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels