MS switches running staking and OSPF

Solved
SkyWong44
Here to help

MS switches running staking and OSPF

Hi All:

As my understand from https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_OSPF_Overview

OSPF and Warm Spare do not operate concurrently on a switch, which means eg. if I have 2 MS425 I can choose running ospf or Warm Spare.

I have two question

1. how about MS390? since MS390 support physical stacking, can it run sacking and OSPF operate concurrently?

1. how about Virtual stacking, can it run virtual  sacking and OSPF operate concurrently?

1 Accepted Solution

So that would be only L2 connection between virtual stack member right ?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When the switches are stacking, you can run OSPF, because logically speaking they are like a single switch. In the case of Warmspare is that they will be working on active and standby.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi  alemabrahao

Thanks for your reply, for Physical stacking I believe the OSPF will work, but how about Virtual stacking on MS4xx? since behind the scenes, Virtual stacking is running STP .

OSPF works on both, Physica and Virtual stacking.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Just a detail, the virtual stack server configures multiple ports at the same time, and the settings are not replicated from one switch to the other, that is, it is only possible to configure OSPF on the switch that has the Interfaces VLAN created.

So that would be only L2 connection between virtual stack member right ?

In the Meraki dashboard, you can view and configure all of the switchports in a network in a single list. That is just how the GUI is designed. This design is called "virtual stacking." It is not actually stacking at all. It's just a marketing term for the GUI design, having all the ports in one list. This feature is automatically always-on, for all switches. Virtual stacking does not have members or non-members, and it is not an operating mode of the switches. It is simply a characteristic of the GUI. Any time you go into the Switchports page of a network, and see all of the ports in that network showing up on that page, that's what "virtual switching" is. It is a GUI feature that allows you to view and configure all of the ports in a network, from the same GUI page. All of the ports in the entire network are presented in a single list. Virtual stacking does not include any stacking functionality, nor does it have the concept of switches being members or non-members.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS390s are known to have a lot of stability issues.  I would avoid them.

Use Google for more information.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels