MS-125 Switches QoS with DSCP marking

MattCutting
Comes here often

MS-125 Switches QoS with DSCP marking

Afternoon, we are supplying switches for a network that will have multiple vlans with 1 vlan created for Audio and video running over it. I sent the spec sheets to the supplier of the audio equipment, and they advised the switches will do what they need them to do in regards to QoS.

The switches have been setup , and now running through the instructions they have sent through, we have hit a big hurdle. It states "Because the DSCP markings of Dante and Q-LAN data conflict with each other, the QoS configuration portrayed in the previous procedure does not allow both protocols to co-exist on the same VLAN or share the same uplink VLAN trunks to other switches" and they want QoS on port ranges configured which the MS125 doesnt do.

Meraki Config.PNG

Can you see anyway around this? We cant get new switches of course. Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why would dscp markings  conflict?

Anyhow, With meraki switches all vlans need on the same uplink/trunk (unless that vlan is not used on the switch) because its using rstp, and not a pvstp  protocol. If the switch-to-switch link ever gets congested  then use a channel between them to get more bandwidth.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww is right - DSCP markings can't "conflict".  They merely indicate a desire for how the traffic is to be treated ONCE congestion has occurred (note that if there is no congestion - no traffic waiting in a queue - that QoS does nothing - it does not enable).

I don't know anything about this system - but I just did a Google and it looks like the DSCP markings are configured on the endpoints (as it should be).  If this is the case - you do NOT need to re-write the DSCP markings on the switch.  They have already been set.

The most you should need to do is tell the switches to trust the DSCP markings that the end points have already applied.

PhilipDAth_0-1654719264025.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It looks to me like you have Dante and Q-LAN traffic both tagged with 46 and need to make QLAN a higher priority.

Is the Dante and Q-LAN traffic coming from the same endpoint(s) or separate ones?  If the same then I think you just have to hope you have enough bandwidth, if different then you could tell the switch ports where the Q-LAN traffic comes in to trust DSCP and the others to ignore it.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looking here, it seems like you can tag the Q-LAN traffic with DSCP 56 at the source:

https://q-syshelp.qsc.com/Content/Networking/QoS.htm

Then on the switches just trust DSCP

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels