MS-120 Switch and 7 AP's unreachable but they are working

ITsodaguy
Conversationalist

MS-120 Switch and 7 AP's unreachable but they are working

Hello,

We have a small remote location with a Meraki MS-120 24 port switch and 7 Meraki AP's. From the Dashboard, all devices show as "unreachable" for the last 22 days. An onsite user says all is working fine; they sent a picture of the switch that was all lit up. I am wondering the best course of action to restore reach ability through the Dashboard? Will re-booting the switch work for this? Thank you for any information or assistance!

7 REPLIES 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you ping the APs management interfaces from the switch?  It is possible it is a backend issue, if you can ping them all then log a ticket as sometimes a reset is needed in the clould.

ITsodaguy
Conversationalist

Thank you for the response. From the Dashboard, the switch is essentially lifeless and shows as "Dormant". Pings to AP's show no sign of life. Pings from any AP, to the switch also fail, but the AP's all show as 'unreachable'. But again, the network, onsite, is all functioning properly. Event log on the switch shows nothing, but Event logs on all AP's show activity up to May 14, then they all end--with no indication of why the communication to the Dashboard stopped?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there a firewall on site that you can access, or what is between the switch and the internet?  You might need to allow access to the Meraki datacentres outbound for the APs and switch.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Other_Topics/Upstream_Firewall_Rules_for_Cl...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd concentrate on the switch first.  I would get someone to give it a power cycle.

After that, if it is still not working you need to get someone to access the local status page and see why it is reporting it is not online.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M... 

Thanks for the information: unfortunately I missed my window today and they are all gone already. I will get them to reboot the switch on Monday afternoon. I will report back and let you know.

Thanks again!

Nick
Head in the Cloud

Interesting one...

As per @PhilipDAth I would reboot the switch and see what happens - then verify its communication to the Meraki Cloud is not being blocked by the gateway / ISP

ITsodaguy
Conversationalist

Update: the remote location where this Meraki equipment is, called yesterday and said that they now had no Internet. My intent was to reboot the switch after they were done yesterday, but their no Internet issue pushed us to do it earlier. The reboot had no effect on communication to the dashboard and did not bring their Internet back.
We called Meraki support and they had us factory reset the switch with no change. After 2 more factory resets with the Meraki tech, they decided to call it a bad switch and are sending a new one. For the record, Meraki support was essentially no wait time, and they were very helpful. Thank you all for your input and help as we get better acquainted with Meraki equipment!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels