Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit bandwidth for wired clients

SOLVED
Here to help

Limit bandwidth for wired clients

Dear Community,

How can I limit bandwidth to 5Mb/5Mb per each connected client over wired cable for a specific vlan?

For wireless clients there's a manner doing so by going to Wireless -> Configure -> Firewall & traffic shaping -> Traffic shaping rules -> Per-client bandwidth limit ->  Set desired values ... 

For wired clients I can't find where to configure. 

Best regards,.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kind of a big deal

Re: Limit bandwidth for wired clients

Huh... OK, I'm not really clear from the docs if this will do what you want...

My example above stands for per-client rate limiting on a VLAN, but to aggregate the entire VLAN into one maximum... I would try this under Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & Traffic shaping:

image.png

The doc here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_Shaping_a_Local_Subnet_or_H...

Seems to indicate that this would provide per-VLAN rate limiting.. But I can't say I've ever tried this. We just limit per-client using the method I posted above. 

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny if the Traffic Shaping policy works?

7 REPLIES 7
Kind of a big deal

That can't be done on the wired side unless you have a MX to do this in the SD-WAN and traffic shaping.

Capture.PNG

Here to help

Hi,

I do have. 

Can you please share instructions as per my specific needs?

Best regards. 

Kind of a big deal

Hi @Captain 

You can do this by applying a GP to a VLAN on an MX network.

Created your GP under Network wide > Group policies with a rate limiter:

image.png

And then you can apply the GP to a VLAN under Security & SD-WAN > Addressing & VLANs:

image.png

Here to help

Okay.

Sorry this is not clear:

The limit set in Bandwidth -> use custom bandwidth limit

Is applied per entire vlan ?

or

Per each client connected in that vlan?

To me it seems like it is per entire vlan... I am looking for how to limit per client in a vlan.

Let's say I have a vlan called "wiredGuests" with vlan id 100 or whatever... 

I would like to limit that entire vlan to 10/10 Mb 

and for each client within that vlan wired connected - as well limit to 1/1 Mb 

Best regards

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

@Captain The method I presented will limit each client on that VLAN to 5Mbps (both up and down). It will not limit the entire VLAN to 5Mbps.

I think that's what you want?

Let's say I have a vlan called "wiredGuests" with vlan id 100 or whatever... 

I would like to limit that entire vlan to 10/10 Mb 

and for each client within that vlan wired connected - as well limit to 1/1 Mb 

OK, sorry, that's a bit different. the VLAN to 10/10 with clients to 1/1 wasn't in your original post. That can be done, one second...

Kind of a big deal

Huh... OK, I'm not really clear from the docs if this will do what you want...

My example above stands for per-client rate limiting on a VLAN, but to aggregate the entire VLAN into one maximum... I would try this under Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & Traffic shaping:

image.png

The doc here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_Shaping_a_Local_Subnet_or_H...

Seems to indicate that this would provide per-VLAN rate limiting.. But I can't say I've ever tried this. We just limit per-client using the method I posted above. 

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny if the Traffic Shaping policy works?

Kind of a big deal

Thanks @jdsilva for the assistance. I got busy with a switch here and couldn't get to @Captain  

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.