Layer 3 switch in place of a router

Solved
kevinl
Getting noticed

Layer 3 switch in place of a router

I've been pondering an idea and wondering whether anybody has tried this before. 

ISPs in my part of the world will give you an Ethernet handoff, and it will go to a classical router (name your brand here), which is an additional hassle to manage, since it is not cloud-enabled. The ISP also provides a /30 WAN block of IPs, say 99.99.99.0/30, .1 will be their ISP provider edge (PE) router, and .2 will be your customer edge (CE) router. You will also then receive your /29 "LAN" block of IPs, say 100.100.100.0/29, to use for your devices. 

Our situation is that a warm spare group of Meraki MX require unique public static IP addresses, so I need that router, and the /30 and /29 blocks of IP addresses, vs using one single IP for both.  

I want to eliminate the classic router and replace it with say, a MS225-24 since it is basically only ever doing static routing from Gig0 to Gig1, no NAT, no DHCP, no nothing - that intelligence is handled by the MX. The MS225-24 offers baseline Layer 3 routing with 16 static routes - when all I really need is one route (default) and two directly connected interfaces. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 17.05.39.png

As a plus, I would kill two birds with one stone - I would eliminate an unmanaged Layer 2 switch and the ISP router and consolidate both into one device. 

Has anybody ever done this? 

1 Accepted Solution
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That would work. It's effectively the same thing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That would work. It's effectively the same thing.

kevinl
Getting noticed

Thanks! Something we can look at doing in future to eliminate the need for ISP routers 🙂
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels