Layer 3 Routing

Ben
A model citizen

Layer 3 Routing

Hi All,

So i'm configuring L3 routing on my network and wanted to check if i'm right. 

I have my following setup

MX250 - Corestack MS410 - Serverstack MS250

MX and MS410 have a 10.0.18.0/24 network for going towards the internet MX = 10.0.18.1, This created a default route 0.0.0.0/0 towards 10.0.18.1

The MS410 have the L3 interfaces but now i want to route 10.162.128.0/17 to IP 10.162.128.1 (Alcatel L3 switch of 3rd party here in the building) 

That alcatel switch is in Port 1 of switch 1 of my server switches. trunk port with the VLANS of that switch.

When I do not create a L3 interface for this subnet i get the error "not in a configured subnet"

When i do create one it says "already routed" 

I have over 20VLANS so the 0.0.0.0/0 is very handy but I'm starting to think I have to create a route for every subnet and remove the 0.0.0.0/0 route to be able to define a different route for that subnet? 

Cheers,

Ben

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need a route for every subnet that points in a different direction to your default gateway - that is not also a directly connected interface (or layer 3 vlan).

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't route 10.162.128.0/17 to 10.162.128.1 - they are both in the same subnet - that would be pointless.  Does the Alcatel have another layer 3 interface in a different VLAN that any of your other kit is also in?  You could add the 10.162.128.0/17 via that other interface.

If the Alcatel only has that one layer 3 interface then you don't need to route anything via it (you need at least two layer 3 interfaces to really do routing).  In that case you would simply add a layer 3 interface for that subnet onto one of your other devices, such as your core switches.

Ben
A model citizen

Ok, yeah makes sense. When i create a L3 interface it becomes a VLAN on the network.

I want to be able to tag those subnets on the SSID's with VLANS because people logging onto that specific SSID needs to be routed towards the Alcatel switch.

I just have to tag my VLANS on the correct ports to route them towards the alcatel. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels