LAG Stacking and MX250

SOLVED
Netwow
Building a reputation

LAG Stacking and MX250

So I have a loop because I was unaware that the Ethernet ports on the MX250 could not be used as uplinks for my 6 MS225s because RSTP. Got it. Now I am looking at stacking my 6 switches and using LAG to connect all uplinks. I know the best practice would be to get a MS425 but we can't do that right now. So my question is.... Can I stack all 6 switches, LAG the last port of each (Port 48) and connect them to all to the MX? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Netwow I know exactly what you're trying to do and it's not necessarily for additional throughput, but for resiliency from the MX downstream to a switch stack.  Unfortunately the MX does not (yet) support LACP on the LAN side ports.  The feature request is in the system, so keep making wishes for it and contact your local Cisco/Meraki team and have them ping the MX PM team to add your account to the list. 

I've seen many requests for this and I'm hoping it is gaining traction for development soon.  So for now the best you can really do is build the physical stack of MS225 with the regular stacking cables, and connect the "top" and "bottom" switch 10G interfaces to a pair of 10G LAN ports on the MX250 and let RSTP do its thing.  I'm not advocating that introducing RSTP is better than active/active LACP links between MX and LAN core, but for now that's the option until LACP is released on the MX.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Netwow I know exactly what you're trying to do and it's not necessarily for additional throughput, but for resiliency from the MX downstream to a switch stack.  Unfortunately the MX does not (yet) support LACP on the LAN side ports.  The feature request is in the system, so keep making wishes for it and contact your local Cisco/Meraki team and have them ping the MX PM team to add your account to the list. 

I've seen many requests for this and I'm hoping it is gaining traction for development soon.  So for now the best you can really do is build the physical stack of MS225 with the regular stacking cables, and connect the "top" and "bottom" switch 10G interfaces to a pair of 10G LAN ports on the MX250 and let RSTP do its thing.  I'm not advocating that introducing RSTP is better than active/active LACP links between MX and LAN core, but for now that's the option until LACP is released on the MX.

Netwow
Building a reputation

Thank you . I am wishing away.

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I'm hoping someone will be able to answer me.  This is going to become a problem for us, do you know if there is any movement on allowing the MX250/MX450 ports to be able to be aggregated?

Zero.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could - but I wouldn't.  Only one of the links to the MX250 will be used, and any others will be held down by spanning tree.  That much redundancy is overkill, and adding extra conplexity is more likely to add extra issues.

I would run an uplink between two of the stacked switches to the MX250.  Then you'll have a primary link and one backup link.  Simple.

Netwow
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth As always thank you . You are awesome

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels