Is Meraki going to make a way for Persistent log storage for local device logs?

DevinP
New here

It seems recently we have seen an uptick in brand new MS130 and MS250 hardware having odd issues on MS 16.8 and MS 16.9 where the device seems to start dropping/filtering DHCP and DNS traffic. 

When we have seen this behavior, a reboot fixes it, but clears the local logs. 
This leads to a situation where I have to explain to a new client, that even though they purchased Cisco hardware, we cannot help them resolve the issues until it happens again, and then on top of this, we have to extend the downtime until we can get someone directly wired into the switch with a laptop. 

In 2 of these recent scenarios in separate environments, the local status page would not even function until the hardware was rebooted. 

If Cisco Meraki requires the local status logs to troubleshoot and diagnose issues, why was the Meraki platform released without a way to write critical local logs to persistent storage?
Cisco phones have done it for years with a very small amount of onboard storage, and a rotating local log file. 

There may be limitations that I am not aware of that prevent this. I am still going to inquire about it. If Meraki thinks its okay to take my client environments offline so they can troubleshoot, than I should be justified in asking why a permanent solution to this issue has not been implemented. 

1 Reply 1
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This may be something to keep nagging to the sales rep.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels