IPv6 Multicasting on Meraki MS

Adeldardari
Here to help

IPv6 Multicasting on Meraki MS

Hi,

I got a scenario where my L2 MS is connected to mesh solution called APT. 

APT nodes find each other using Discovery packets. The APT nodes use the contents of the discovery requests to decide which node will be the master and which will be the client (slave). The client node then attempts to connect to the master using a UDP/IPv6 socket and the link local addresses of the Ethernet ports. The IPv6 address is resolved to an Ethernet MAC address by the Neighbor Discovery protocol. An ICMPv6 Neighbor Solicitation sent from the client to the Neighbor Discovery multicast address of the master.

APT Discovery packets use an IPv6 packet sent to the Multicast address of FF02::1, with UDP payload data with the SRC and DST is set to port 2210.....etc

now as i was reading, i wasn't sure if i should create a multicast address on the MS switches by creating PIM-SM (L3 Settings) following this link 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Multicast_Routing_Overview

or by simply configuring multicast listener discover (MLD) Snooping for IPv6 Multicast , also mentioned in the same link i just posted. 

I have never done such settings, appreciate if someone out there had done a semilar solution

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Cisco Meraki Switches can pass IPv6 traffic, as well as report information on clients using IPv6. But if I'm right It does not support IPV6 configuration.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/IPv6_Device_Compatibility

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

GMP Querier

An IGMP querier is required for IGMP snooping to operate per RFC4604. To configure an IGMP querier:

1. Navigate to Switch > Configure > Routing and DHCP.
  2. Select or Add an interface.
  3. Enter Name, Interface IP, and VLAN.
  4. Under multicast support, selection Enable IGMP snooping querier.

alemabrahao_0-1666699347262.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

yea i read all of the lines, but my 3rd party solution works with ipv6 and requires multicast domain, is configuring multicast listener discover (MLD) Snooping for IPv6 Multicast enough for such scenario ? i am looking for the solution regardless of the technology , then i will explore the options i can do with Meraki . Appreciate if someone can advise

Look at this:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Multicast-Basic-s/m-p/25706

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels