How to bind MAC to switch port

SOLVED
Smartsada007
Here to help

How to bind MAC to switch port

Hello Meraki Fellows,

Please guide me how to bind MAC address of devices like network printers etc to specific switch ports, as I don't want to without knowing to me, anybody will came with personal laptop, remove the cable from network printer and use the same to plug into laptop and access our network.

I gone though options via switch ports but not understand.

Thanks in advance..!!

46546.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MAC allow list: Only devices with MAC addresses specified in this list will have access to this port. Up to 20 MAC addresses can be defined.

Sticky MAC allow list: The switch will dynamically learn the MAC addresses of devices connected to the port and place the address in the MAC Whitelist. The administrator can define the size of this list. When this list is full, all subsequent devices will be denied access to this port. It can take up to 5 minutes for the learned MAC to appear in dashboard.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MAC allow list: Only devices with MAC addresses specified in this list will have access to this port. Up to 20 MAC addresses can be defined.

Sticky MAC allow list: The switch will dynamically learn the MAC addresses of devices connected to the port and place the address in the MAC Whitelist. The administrator can define the size of this list. When this list is full, all subsequent devices will be denied access to this port. It can take up to 5 minutes for the learned MAC to appear in dashboard.

Thanks for your reply..!

Just for clarification..

MAC allow list: Only devices with MAC addresses specified in this list will have access to this port. Up to 20 MAC addresses can be defined. - Can I define here 20 MAC address for each port..? And whenever i want to connect new device; just change the policy to "Open", connect the device, and add the MAC to allow list.. is it??

Sticky MAC allow list: - This can be used as list down all MAC from network, if any device connect to any port which is in the list can granted access..?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MAC allow list:  this list is only for this port, only the mac addresses you add manually can connect this port. You could set it to open to see the new mac, but you dont need to, you can just add the mac(if you know the mac)

Sticky MAC allow list: this list is only for this port. Its a empty list that learns the mac from the client, and then add this to the list. So if you set the limit to 1 only the first client would be added to the list

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels