How many Meraki 48 port switches can you stack?

Solved
MerakiMed
Getting noticed

How many Meraki 48 port switches can you stack?

I'm looking to replace an old 4510R w 350 ports. Any issue stacking seven
Meraki switches to serve as the replacement? Office environment - no

huge bandwidth requirements.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Up to eight Meraki MS switches can be configured in a physical stack to allow for high-speed communication between devices.

Only like-models can be stacked. For example, MS350-48 and MS350-24X can be stacked, but MS250-48 cannot be stacked with a MS350-48. The MS210 and MS225 series are also cross-compatible with physical stacking.

Physical stacking is available on MS210, MS225, MS250, MS350, MS355, MS390 and MS410 switches, which include dedicated stacking ports. This section describes physical stacking.

Flexible stacking is available on MS420 and MS425 switches which do not have dedicated stacking ports; any port on these switches can be configured as a stack port. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#:~:text=Up%20to%20eight%20Meraki%20MS,hig....

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Up to eight Meraki MS switches can be configured in a physical stack to allow for high-speed communication between devices.

Only like-models can be stacked. For example, MS350-48 and MS350-24X can be stacked, but MS250-48 cannot be stacked with a MS350-48. The MS210 and MS225 series are also cross-compatible with physical stacking.

Physical stacking is available on MS210, MS225, MS250, MS350, MS355, MS390 and MS410 switches, which include dedicated stacking ports. This section describes physical stacking.

Flexible stacking is available on MS420 and MS425 switches which do not have dedicated stacking ports; any port on these switches can be configured as a stack port. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#:~:text=Up%20to%20eight%20Meraki%20MS,hig....

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Personally, I don't like putting more than 4 or 5 switches into a stack.  In a perfect world, you should be able to stack to the max, but the reality is this is all running on software, and software can have bugs, and the larger a single stack the greater the likelihood of running into stacking bugs that take everything out.

In this case, I would stack two switches together to form a network core.  Then create two stacks of 3 switches that hang off the network core.  This is a nice network design.

You could also create two stacks of 4 switches.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels