How do I set up OSPF routing?

SOLVED
palmtree
New here

How do I set up OSPF routing?

Is it as simple as it looks? Just turn off and specify areas and cost? Want to make sure I’m not leaving anything without configuration and break my network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aweomse, in that case especially it is very simple.  Usually the basic setup is with a Backbone, Stub Area, and an NSSA Not-So-Stubby Area.  Assign each an ID and name.  Your normal area will be for all of your routers.  This way all of the routes will have a "homebase"  to direct from using the Autonmous System.  Your Stub area is going to be for "Branch" style location where not every route needs to be advertised so a default route to the core would suffice allone.  You can use your Layer 3 switch to save resources and bandwidth this way.  In your NSSA you can allow external routes to be introduced using an Area Border Router.  The Switch can inject outside routes which the NSSa can then pass off back to the ABR.  This will save bandwidth by bypassing the normal area.  Things to remember when configuring the interfaces.  Area - The OSPF area to which this interface should belong.  Cost - The path cost for this interface.  You can increase the default from 1 to give lower priority.  Passive - Enabling this will keep OSPF from running on the interface while leaving the subnet advertised.  Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Good morning palmtree,

Setting up OSPF is actually really simple using the Meraki. I'd be more than happy to help and/or walk you through the settings.  What kind of configuration are you looking at doing?

A Basic OSPF setup with one area. Im just starting to test Meraki gear so I dont have a specific scenario.

Aweomse, in that case especially it is very simple.  Usually the basic setup is with a Backbone, Stub Area, and an NSSA Not-So-Stubby Area.  Assign each an ID and name.  Your normal area will be for all of your routers.  This way all of the routes will have a "homebase"  to direct from using the Autonmous System.  Your Stub area is going to be for "Branch" style location where not every route needs to be advertised so a default route to the core would suffice allone.  You can use your Layer 3 switch to save resources and bandwidth this way.  In your NSSA you can allow external routes to be introduced using an Area Border Router.  The Switch can inject outside routes which the NSSa can then pass off back to the ABR.  This will save bandwidth by bypassing the normal area.  Things to remember when configuring the interfaces.  Area - The OSPF area to which this interface should belong.  Cost - The path cost for this interface.  You can increase the default from 1 to give lower priority.  Passive - Enabling this will keep OSPF from running on the interface while leaving the subnet advertised.  Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome, glad to help!

Matthew
New here

I can confirm OSPF on Meraki is super simple to configure. That said, we upgraded from catalyst equipment and had a mixed Meraki/Catalyst-OSPF/EIGRP environment during the transition that required special care. If you are in the same boat, watch out for any switches/routers with incorrect routes that may poison OSPF.

Kind Regards,
Matthew

@Matthew 

I am attempting to use a Meraki MS250 to replace a Cisco router that is using EIGRP.  You mentioned you have a mixed environment.  Since the MS series do not support EIGRP, how did your mixed environment work?

- Dave

Dave Anderson
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels